What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Round the World in a RV-9A

Make sure we know when he is ready to go. I want to follow that pretty close. Thanks.

Maybe have him update the blog too!

Stuck in Hilo

Well if you have to be stuck waiting on weather and maintenance issues...I guess Hilo is as good as any as opposed to the middle of no-where third world country.

Well if you have to be stuck waiting on weather and maintenance issues...I guess Hilo is as good as any as opposed to the middle of no-where third world country.

nothing to do there except watch Hula dancers. Bummer.

According to FlightAware he is now at PHOG. Hope his problems are minor and he found a good place for the plane.

RTW trip update

Due to concerns of potential damage to the plane from Hurricane Hector at Hilo, I relocated "May" to the island of Maui. Thanks to the VAF community (Ed, Scott, Eric, and Brad) I was able to secure a hanger at Kahului Airport (PHOG).

The winds aloft forecast for the Hawaii/California flight does not look favorable for the next two weeks. I decided to fly home commercially, rest and prepare for the final leg of the trip. When I return to Hawaii on August 21, I will complete work on the aircraft, fly back to Hilo, and wait for right moment to fly the 2000+nm to California.

John

Impressive

You know how some feats become old hat after a few people do them? Well this isn?t one of them. Around the world in a home made plane! It?ll never get old or unexciting.

Landed!

Wow. Amazing. Congratulations!!!!!

VAFDR_01%20Aug.%2031%2005.47.jpg

VAFDR_02%20Aug.%2031%2005.48.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations !!!

I?m really proud having been a small part in John?s adventure.

Seems yesterday that we were in my hangar to solve the electrical problem.

Well done John.

All I?ve got to say is one word..............

Historic, Fantastic, Incredible, Unbelievable, Super, Monumental, Jaw Dropping,
Inspiring, Awesome, Magnificent, Stunning, Amazing, and Absolutely Wonderful!

Amazing achievement and good to follow his progress and see him arrive safely. Interestingly, 23 years ago Jon Johanson flying his RV 4 did the Hilo to Santa Ynez leg in 15 hours 12 minutes. Santa Ynez being an alternative to his intended destination of Santa Barbara which was fogged in. Ref: Aiming High by Jon Johanson.

What an incredible feat! I caught the last hour of your flight about 100 miles off shore on flightaware and couldn't leave it until you were landed! I can only imagine what you were feeling with marginal weather and strong surface winds on top of 17 hours of flying. Glad your safe and welcome home!!

PS I like your registration number (N944JK)

Steve Koziol
RV9A N424JK

I hope you do a presentation at Oshkosh next year. I'd love to hear stories about your adventure.

Amazing achievement

Amazing achievement and well done. Seeing that it is early Friday evening here in South Africa, I will pour a scotch or to on this :D

Epic flight John, many congratulations. Glad I was able to follow it as it unfolded. Hope you are considering writing a book about your flight. I'd love to add it to my collection of RTW flights.

RTW Flight

An amazing accomplishment! This appears to be the 232nd single engine around the world flight in a light airplane.
Earthrounders.com is an excellent website on this subject.
The first single engine was the Douglas World Cruisers in 1924. Four started, two completed the flight.
The first homebuilt was Don Taylor in 1976 in a Thorp T18.
Steve Fossett did it solo nonstop.

Great adventure

John congrats on your adventure!

It was a pleasure meeting you on Maine just as you were starting your trip. I look forward to reading you full story.

Way to go John! Truly enjoyed watching and reading about the trip. Amazing, what an awesome accomplishment. Hope we'll get to meet you at OSH next year!

Back