What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TIS Reduction

gvgoff99

Well Known Member
For those of you that are considering the Garmin 330 or King KT-73 transponders for the sole reason of getting TIS you may want to read this:

http://www.pennavionics.com/TIS_ISSUES.html

I probably will still get the 330 with the belief the FAA will (maybe) upgrade in future years to include more TIS areas rather than fewer as this article says will happen.

The AOPA article seems to suggest that TIS will eventually be replaced with ADS-B at some point in time. Traffic and (free!) weather. The ADS-B receiver has a WAAS GPS in it, too, so if it could be used with a cheap control head for navigation and IFR approaches, then it would be well worth the few k$ it costs. It's just too bad that there is so little coverage today.

gvgoff99 said:
For those of you that are considering the Garmin 330 or with the belief the FAA will (maybe) upgrade in future years to include more TIS areas rather than fewer as this article says will happen.

I also encourage you (and anyone else interested in TIS) to contact the EAA governmental affairs group (i.e. lobbiest). You can get the email address from the EAA web page - when I contacted them, they said they'd look into it if they had enough requests from members.

Kevin
RV-7A flying

Last edited:
Back