- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-15-2016, 06:00 PM

Default VPX product and parts life and availability

my RV7 is 2009 have VP-200 in it
VP200 was released in 2008 if i am not mistaking
and it is like 4 years that it was discontinued no service no parts!!!!

How long you guys think you will get support and parts for VPX 7-8 years???
fuses hold better!!!!!

if my VP200 goes bad that i cant fix it I go back to fuses

RV7 C-GLLT - FLYING
RV7 C-GZZY- NOTFLYING
2017 June RV7 Emp in works!
VAF SUPPORTER
2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Old 12-15-2016, 06:30 PM

Default Chad Fan and the real question?

If Chad is involved, it is reputable and a good product.

Reliability is not the issue I've questioned, but evolution obsolescence with Vertical Power and others is my major concern. Several years ago Dynon discontinued software update support for the D-100 series that is now available for installation in thousands of certified aircraft, via the EAA STC. When I called to ask, with the EAA STC, if Dynon would renew support for the D-100 series, I was told no. I've followed the VP development and also read of several dealing with issues with VP legacy products. I hope VP support continues to support it's early adopters.

IHN,

2017 Dues Paid

Robby Knox

"If it is to be, it is up to me" Thomas Smith
Old 12-15-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasGlas View Post
....It's unfair for the OP to get comments about a product from people that has never used one.
Don't think I agree with that philosophy. If someone has a reasonable opinion as to why a particular device might be inappropriate, whether or not they've actually used it, then since the OP specifically asked "What's the downside?" it's entirely on topic, as well as "fair," for them to discuss their opinion.

Dave
Old 12-15-2016, 08:51 PM

Don't forget the fate of the VP-400 that was sold. Astronics purchased VP and quickly discontinued the line and all support! Customers left high and dry with very little options. With their track record, I don't think you can expect VP to support their legacy equipment years down the road. These planes will easily fly for decades, as for VP? Who knows. Klixon breakers all the way!
Old 12-15-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
.....If someone has a reasonable opinion as to why a particular device might be inappropriate, whether or not they've actually used it, then since the OP specifically asked "What's the downside?" it's entirely on topic, as well as "fair," for them to discuss their opinion.

Dave
While I agree totally with Dave, it would be useful to hear from those who have actually installed and flown behind a VPX, AND would not install it again in another build. How many are out there in this category?

In my case I installed and am flying behind a VP-200. If it were still in production I would definitely do it again. If it fails I would probably put in the VPX and all the switches I don't currently have to have.
F1 EVO Rocket, first flight May 31/14
Old 12-16-2016, 03:22 AM

This discussion is mainly about old way and new way. Thanks to VP-X to making us dreaming about something as boring as electrical panel, with no improvement since decades.

I've chosen to get EFIS+VP-X as a whole, and I don't care about duration because I perfectly know this "computerization" approach includes a level of planned obsolescence. I will be able to change my electrical panel if something goes wrong, so what? I'm not building for customers and even though the total life of my bird could be decades, the avionics will have to be replaced sometimes.

Talking about planned obsolescence, what about our medical?... What about our smartphones?

This is our choice as builders to setup the systems we want, the complexity we can manage and the price we can afford. This is about freedom, not about good or bad solution for a "problem that doesn't exist"... Same approach in driving a standard car or a luxury one, they both have four wheels and seats, but you have the right to choose, and you should fight to keep it this way.

I'm living in the homebuilders' world since I was born, and this is all about fun, passion and finding good reason to do unreasonable activities. Going to VP-X is a good reason for me, pushing the lines, trying something different, having some more fun in the way I'm building and flying.

For sure I do care about other's comments when this is about safety, with proper arguments and facts. I definitely don't care when it's about the way I decide to express my freedom and spend my money...

Wishing you all happy buildings, landings and new year!

Patrick
Paris, France
www.marcel-jurca.com
www.rsafrance.com

Not building a RV, nobody's perfect

2012 to 2019 dues... gladly paid!

Last edited by JurcaSperocco : 12-16-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Fair enough. What changed?

Yep, original posted at 6:53, edited change posted at 6:56. I elected to take a higher path. You may post the original for all to judge if you wish.
A review of the processes in place when we did have an AOG customer at that time. I was unaware that we didn't have a real AOG loaner program in place, but since then we have multiple Sports and Pro's on the loaner shelf so there will always be availability if necessary.

And no worries on the comment...I do appreciate you editing the original though.

chad.jensen@astronics.com
Old 12-16-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vluvelin View Post
How long you guys think you will get support and parts for VPX 7-8 years???
Well the great thing about Ballard Technology is we still support the original products that were produced 27 years ago when the company started, so product support longevity has been a hallmark of the company.

Last edited by cjensen : 12-16-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N62XS View Post
If Chad is involved, it is reputable and a good product.
Thanks Robby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution10 View Post
Don't forget the fate of the VP-400 that was sold. Astronics purchased VP and quickly discontinued the line and all support! Customers left high and dry with very little options. With their track record, I don't think you can expect VP to support their legacy equipment years down the road. These planes will easily fly for decades, as for VP? Who knows. Klixon breakers all the way!
This is a topic that has some ambiguity behind the scenes, but the short version is the VP-400 was never out of beta and the 7 units were purchased back before VP was sold to Astronics. Astronics owns the system, but since we are not in the autopilot business it wasn't a fit for the product line.

Marc did a great job in designing the products, and I won't speak for him regarding track record or business decisions when Vertical Power was his company. What I can say now is that as just mentioned in a previous post, Ballard still supports every product it has ever produced, going back to the beginning 27 years ago.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjensen View Post
Thanks Robby!

This is a topic that has some ambiguity behind the scenes, but the short version is the VP-400 was never out of beta and the 7 units were purchased back before VP was sold to Astronics. Astronics owns the system, but since we are not in the autopilot business it wasn't a fit for the product line.

Marc did a great job in designing the products, and I won't speak for him regarding track record or business decisions when Vertical Power was his company. What I can say now is that as just mentioned in a previous post, Ballard still supports every product it has ever produced, going back to the beginning 27 years ago.

Hope that helps.
Chad,

I must have missed this along the way. Are you saying my VP100 would be supported should I have a failure? You guys would support it / be able to fix it should it breakdown on me?

I understand warranty is long gone with my 7 year old VP100.