What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power info

raw-180

I'm New Here
Hi all being in long away Aussie it is hard to get info sometimes. Have been looking at the Vertical power stuff also interested in there new ! power distributions system on the firewall. But they seem to really not be happening on their face book page and there webb site seems to be the same for years.
Are they still going or has their product starting to have problems.
Just chasing feedback a big investment to make if the company is not travelling well.
Thanks all
Rory Hatchett
Sydney Australia

G'day Rory, VP is still going, they are bought out by Astronics a few months ago, but they have kept the VP-X product line.

I have a VP-X Sport in my -9 and have only had one, very minor, problem whereby one of the installation screws had the plate nut come loose inside the VP-X, so I couldn't get the screw out to install it. VP (Marc A at the time) sorted it out no worries - Customs were a bigger headache to deal with reying to charge me GST again, the muppets...

It talks to my Dynon happily, though I do wonder if I should have stumped up the cash for a Pro model though to get the dual bus redundancy. I would happily buy another though, of either model, if I was in the market.

Ditto! I love my VP-X Sport! Very easy to wire and configure. Will plan to purchase again on my second offense! :eek:)

Thanks for the info, yea there is some pretty hard decisions to make sometimes. I love the Vertical power concept hop eat keeps going

Hi Rory,

I sent you an email just now, but thought I'd chime in here too. The VP-X is being made by Astronics Ballard Technology in Everett, WA and I am the support and sales contact for you. I am in charge of the Facebook page and I have to admit I haven't been active with it lately...I should post more there. The website is undergoing renovation evaluation right now...it's going to change soon and have a fresh look and feel.

Let me know if you have any questions...and the poll referenced is a good place for people to let us know of issues they've had, but is in no way accurate as a representation of all units out there.

Have a good one!

Chad,
Do you or Ballard have any reliable mtbf data based on repair history or company records you would like to share with the group?

Hello

Hi Rory,
Happy to chat about the sport I installed. Not flying yet but it all works and was a fun part of the build.
0403157391 Melbourne.

Chad,
Do you or Ballard have any reliable mtbf data based on repair history or company records you would like to share with the group?

Hi Bill,

I don't have a complete picture because I can only see records from when Ballard started making them. I can tell you that the majority of RMA's we see are install related (reverse polarity, "I over torqued the power lug and broke it", stripped the screw lock on J1 or 2, etc...), or NFF (no fault found, meaning the issue reported was external to the VPX). We have seen flap circuit issues on some of the older units with the lower amperage capacity, but have since replaced that part in the VPX with an upgraded part. This isn't to say we don't see failures, but the majority are not manufacturing related.

As far as MTBF goes, impossible really. We would need to track every VPX installation and time on the unit. Our published MTBF numbers are based on the manufacture data of the ECB and components.

Last edited:
I was one of the unfortunate few with a flap board issue. Chad was great at getting the issue resolved. Bigger issue was the incompetent handling by the UK taxman charging me another 20% import duty but we got it resolved in the end. Its been flying 80 hours now and works perfectly. It talks to the Dynon and i can see whats going on. So far Im very happy with it.

Only issue and this is not VPX's fault is the fuel pump now needs a 6 amp breaker as its on a 5 amp circuit and keeps tripping. That circuit has a max capacity of 5 amp so i have to crawl underneath the front panel and rewire to a spare pinout that can handle a higher current.

Its frustrating and annoying and could have been avoided. Andair recommend a 5 amp CB and yet they know the pump draws up to 6 amps and now tell me to use a higher rated CB.

That is good to know.
I am using the online load planning tool, 5A/20g was suggested default.
I am now going to use 6A/18g.

I have had great experience with the pro unit. I now have almost 600 hours on it. I have had a failure of the trim system, In that it will not stop at the preset end points. This isn't causing me issues with continuing to fly the aircraft. The VPX will be returned for a total upgrade next week when I start my annual.

I have a complete redundant buss which utilizes fuses. Two batteries, two alternators, etc. A total failure of the VPX would not cause me to ground the aircraft, although I would restrict flight to VFR only. The one issue this recent failure has brought to light is the dependency of the trim and flaps on the VPX box. For that reason I recently implemented an aux trim switch, which bypasses the VPX in case of failure. I can fly without flap control, but not trim control.

After chatting with Chad, it sounds to me as if Ballard performed a total production and design review of the product and has replaced various known weak components. Kudos to Ballard for being proactive.

Can I interest you in a used VP-50? I just love that product. What great value. I'm sure the VP-X is a fine product too. But, you're right. Do your due diligence and keep in mind that it's entirely possible in today's day and age w.r.t. avionics that you'll end up with an orphaned product and no support. A lot of Marc's old customers did. Figuring out what your tolerance is for that possibility is just a 2016 fact of life.

Last edited:
VP-X with power bus also

Do VP-X users also have a power bus separate from the VP-X and if so, what equipment do you power with the external bus?

I'm doing engine and electric now on RV-7A and plan to use VP-X Sport. Should I also install a power bus and connect things like the following to it, bypassing the VP-X? Just seems like VP-X only is a single point of failure for a lot of stuff.

1. Backup EFIS
2. USP power for iPads
3. Cabin lights

?
thanks

Do VP-X users also have a power bus separate from the VP-X and if so, what equipment do you power with the external bus?

I'm doing engine and electric now on RV-7A and plan to use VP-X Sport. Should I also install a power bus and connect things like the following to it, bypassing the VP-X? Just seems like VP-X only is a single point of failure for a lot of stuff.
Personally, I don't - yet. Everything is switched through the VP-X, but I'm flying day VFR for now.

That being said, when I start flying IFR with the -9 in a year or three, I will have a second VHF and the yet-to-be-bought G5 switched through their own fuses through a DPDT switch that will take them from VP-X to backup power.

I figure with 4 GPS' on board (Ipad, Phone, KLN-90B and SkyView) I can fly to a safe landing using the Ipad or Phone, I don't need the engine monitor in an electrical failure in IMC and I don't really need the Nav radio. All I need is to be able to keep right-side-up and talk to ATC.

What instruments you back up and how you back it up is a personal preference, and is to a great extent, dependent on the mission of the aircraft. My personal goal was to have total electrical redundancy of all equipment in the aircraft.
The decision starts at one end of the spectrum for a strictly VFR aircraft, no long cross country flights, backup what you need to fly the plane home.
On the other end, is an aircraft who's mission is to fly long trips in IMC as required. Then you must back up everything you will need to complete the flight IMC to a successful IMC approach to landing. How much you back up is dependent on how much risk you are willing to take......

I have a VP-200 but the concept is the same. I have a backup switch for my EFIS, my 430W and my fuel pump.

I'm kind of a sucker for fancy electronics and was looking very seriously at the VP-X systems, but after reading The Aeroelectric Connection, I think I can do better setting up my own system. The readouts on a Garmin or Dynon system would be nice I guess, but you will have volts and amps already.

One of the VP-X selling points is saving money on a big bunch of circuit breakers. I'm going to use mostly fuses anyway. In many thousands of hours flying commercially, I can't recall having a circuit breaker pop except maybe to a high power electric motor or a galley. If they pop, you generally don't ever want to reset the thing in the air since for some unknown reason you had way too many amps running through that wire. Fuses will do just as well for virtually everything - and they have cool glowing fuses that help you find the one that blew if you really want to mess with that right away. We did use CB's a lot to reset systems, but you can and probably should include switches to your electronic boxes for the same function.

I also have reservations about putting all your amp-eggs in one basket - the VPX.

Sorry VP-X gurus, just my 2 cents.

+1 for alternate power source switch

The unit itself may be a single point of failure, but as Mark (SMO) noted, you can still incorporate redundancy for critical components. Adding SPDT switches downstream of their individual VP-X power outputs will allow you to select powering the component either via the VP-X output or the back-up buss. Should the VP-X go *poof* unexpectedly, a flip of the toggle switches to the back-up buss brings those component back to life.

You could also use DPDT switches and control power source for 2 components using a single switch, if so desired. For some odd reason, I still prefer 1 switch per component. I know, I'm weird...

Chris

I have had great experience with the pro unit. I now have almost 600 hours on it. I have had a failure of the trim system, In that it will not stop at the preset end points. This isn't causing me issues with continuing to fly the aircraft.

Bill - The trim system is working as designed. It is not supposed to stop at the set endpoints. Those endpoints are for indication only.

We originally designed the system with this feature, but learned in testing that if it was wired backwards the trim system could get stuck past the virtual stops and not be able to come back to neutral, so we went the safe route and took out this feature.

Hi Steve,

The VP-X is NOT putting all your eggs in one basket. You can easily wire backup circuits for critical components, and instructions and guidance are available in the install manual which you can download from the VP web site before purchase or installation.

Can I interest you in a used VP-50? I just love that product. What great value. I'm sure the VP-X is a fine product too. But, you're right. Do your due diligence and keep in mind that it's entirely possible in today's day and age w.r.t. avionics that you'll end up with an orphaned product and no support. A lot of Marc's old customers did. Figuring out what your tolerance is for that possibility is just a 2016 fact of life.
Bob, I would like to find out if you are serious about your post. Because I am serious when I say I would be interested in buying your orphaned VP50. If you are indeed serious about selling it lets talk. Send me a PM or email me.

+1 for VP-X

I have over 900 hours on my VP-X pro now and would echo the sentiment that I would never build a panel again without it. I've had a couple issues - mine was one with the low flap circuit voltage - but Chad fixed it quickly and it turned out I had a week or two left on my warranty.

I just finished another panel for a friend using the Advanced Flight Quick panel. It is nearly identical to my panel in every regard except, of course, you have to use the control module that comes with the panel. The quality of the work by Advanced was excellent, but after building it and now flying it I feel even stronger that I want the capability of the VP-X. I really like seeing the circuit status on my EFIS and being able to watch actual amp draw, reset tripped circuits, etc. Using fuses as in the Advanced control module means shutting down, sticking your head under the panel...etc.

The only suggestion I would have is that the VP-X Pro would have a few more circuits. I think Astronics could survey their users and find out how many actual circuits are used by the higher end panels. I personally could use about 4-5 more to cover all my components.

My $0.02.

Bob, I would like to find out if you are serious about your post. Because I am serious when I say I would be interested in buying your orphaned VP50. If you are indeed serious about selling it lets talk. Send me a PM or email me.

I'm not ready -- and don't have the money -- to tear things out yet but probably when I do the upgrade that's coming for ADS-B, I'll pull out the VP-50 and see what I can get for it. I just can't run the risk of having the guts of my entire electrical system go south and have no solution.

That said, i'll probably go VP-X at that point.

I'm not ready -- and don't have the money -- to tear things out yet but probably when I do the upgrade that's coming for ADS-B, I'll pull out the VP-50 and see what I can get for it. I just can't run the risk of having the guts of my entire electrical system go south and have no solution.

That said, i'll probably go VP-X at that point.
Bob,
When that time comes for you please consider my interest to be first in line for purchase of your VP50 unit.

Back