What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Full flaps flaperons stiff

Boat

I'm New Here
The last couple of flights I've noticed the flaperons become stiff to operate when I pull on full flaps.

Anyone else have this problem or know what might be causing it?:confused:

I have not experienced this, however, I recommend pulling all of the tunnel covers and inspecting the the system before you fly again. If there isn?t anything that has obviously worn or is binding, than try spraying all of the pivots and rod ends with LPS-2, which is a great heavy lubricant.

Make sure the nuts on the control stick push rods that connect to the flaperon mixer bell-crank are not rubbing on the F-00049 wire cover. This would only be noticed when full flaps are used.

Just a thought - -

If you are at 80kts, they will be stiff until you get down to say 65 kts. They should move easier as you slow down.

If it's stiff on the ground, or if the feel has changed for you, take it apart and look at it. Not worth the risks that could potentially be involved, and pretty easy to inspect the assembly.

I agree with John. Check your ailerons on the ground with the flaps down. If they move smoothly then everything is fine. The ailerons normally are a little harder to move when you put the flaps down due to airflow across them. ;)

I agree with John. Check your ailerons on the ground with the flaps down. If they move smoothly then everything is fine. The ailerons normally are a little harder to move when you put the flaps down due to airflow across them. ;)

I discovered that if I put the flap lever all the way down, below the "0?" stop, the ailerons become very, very sensitive and the plane feels surprisingly squirrelly in roll. I was quite surprised at how much of a control feel change is generated by a relatively small deflection into "reflex flap" position.

Like the other commenters suggested, if it's different on the ground then make sure everything is OK mechanically. On the other hand, if it's only during flight, then it may be just aerodynamic.

On the ground, when doing the control check, I do it with flaps at each position not just once before takeoff.

After checking "everything", it appears that the additional stick pressure is simply aerodynamic - from having full flaps at 80 knots and beginning a turn to base. The pressure is virtually gone by touchdown speeds.

Back