Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-02-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
Did you buy a certified unit? And do you now want an experimental?
I ordered 600 EXP in August 2016, it was not delivered.

Yes, I want an experimental unit, have experimental airplane, certified unit not required.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2018 This place is worth it!
Old 11-02-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRhodes View Post
Thats just great! Navworx just cost me another $350 . I bought a uAvonix echo and EXT just last week. At full price! But do appreciate DA making the offer for replacement and would have taken it had the offer been a week earlier.
Yup, Ditto :-(
RV6
Old 11-02-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
I sent that question to Scott Edwards for his input. The serial connections are important. I know I feed my -EXP box data over to the Grand Rapids EFIS.
I hope the harnesses (or pinouts anway) mirror the original box.
Yes, EchoUAT plug-n-play harness supports RS232 of GDL90 traffic from 9600-115200 baud. This supports GRT EFIS and others.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:11 AM

For those that are going to take this bait, are you going with the 2 modules that plugs into your current GPS antenna, or with the WASS GPS and antenna built into 1 unit. Any benefits to either?
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 11-03-2017, 07:08 AM

Shane,
I purchased the Echo and SkyFX external GPS single unit and got rid of the small GPS antenna. My rational was to decrease clutter in the cockpit (this is in my Christen Eagle II). Also, after speaking with a few radio shops there was a sentiment that eventually the FAA will start to come down on the small antennas that are not permanently mounted to the air frame. A safety concern. Take it with a grain of salt. But, I have to say the installation of the external GPS antenna was ridiculously simple, three wires--Power, Ground and signal. As long as its easy for you to make the wire run, I would suggest the single unit.
N189PT- Christen Eagle II
N627DG (reserved)- RV10 in the making
www.marksfamilyrv10.wordpress.com
Old 11-03-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciaglia View Post
Shane,
I purchased the Echo and SkyFX external GPS single unit and got rid of the small GPS antenna. My rational was to decrease clutter in the cockpit (this is in my Christen Eagle II). Also, after speaking with a few radio shops there was a sentiment that eventually the FAA will start to come down on the small antennas that are not permanently mounted to the air frame. A safety concern. Take it with a grain of salt. But, I have to say the installation of the external GPS antenna was ridiculously simple, three wires--Power, Ground and signal. As long as its easy for you to make the wire run, I would suggest the single unit.
I have the Navworx EXP unit in my RV-8 and went to get the SN and to look at the installation last night (it was installed by Jesse at Saint Aviation). The Navworx has a rubber ducky antenna on the exterior of the unit that I assume is the ADS-B antenna. The unit is wired to an outside transponder antenna and the main wiring harness. I have looked through the uAvionix web site and it seems to need an antenna for the ADS-B or is that what the transponder antenna does and all I would have to do is wire it together? I am looking for the simplest installation. I also have a GTN but wonder if it wouldn't be more trouble to wire it into the harness.

Wouldn't the external GPS for the skyFX external unit need to face skyward?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
John
Old 11-03-2017, 08:08 AM

The little rubber ducky antenna ( about 1.5 inches long) mounted to the Navworx unit is the WiFi antenna. The one that looks like a transponder antenna ( ball and 4 inch rod ) is the ADS B "in" . And yes the GPS puck ( satellite recpetion) need to go on the top side of the aircraft . Although some have had good results on mounting them under the fiberglass cowl.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRhodes View Post
The little rubber ducky antenna ( about 1.5 inches long) mounted to the Navworx unit is the WiFi antenna. The one that looks like a transponder antenna ( ball and 4 inch rod ) is the ADS B "in" . And yes the GPS puck ( satellite recpetion) need to go on the top side of the aircraft . Although some have had good results on mounting them under the fiberglass cowl.
Thanks, Dennis. That is very helpful. I wonder if the GPS antenna that I had with Navworx will work with the uAvionix unit. It is under the fiberglass and has worked flawlessly.

I guess that I am asking more questions this time....live and learn.

John
Old 11-03-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciaglia View Post
Shane,
Mark I was leaning that way and if itís that simple I think I may be sold. Just hate to shell out the cash.....again
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 AM

Default Good answers

Shane, thanks for the clarification on RS-232 data out on the plug and play harness. I know most Van's owners will be concerned about retaining that. And also for clarifying the wifi antenna detail. I assumed most did their own installation, but if Jesse Saint did some of them... then which antenna does what might not be clear. The used market was flooded with Garmin GPS antennas a while back, and many used those for the Navworx receiver. It will still work fine... but I like that uAvionix has an all in one receiver, and patch antenna that is an option for builders. We all appreciate your posting answers to early questions here. Keep up the good work. Nick

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes.Helicopter rated, balloon instructor, seaplanes and for grins, Phantom Drone pilot. Instructor for air medical and law enforcement tactical radio systems. Fly my RV9A to work every week. Janitor when and as needed.