VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-16-2018, 06:42 PM

Notwithstanding the problems the OP is having, every time I have to remove the wings I'm still amazed that Vans can fabricate and kit wing spars and fuselage with holes that line up so accurately that you can slide (OK, maybe with some persuasion) two pins through four bushings with practically zero tolerance. Very impressive.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:08 PM

Default Definition of sloping seat pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccarpet View Post
What part do you mean with the "sloping seat pan" ?
I was using the wrong name--the proper name is seat ramp cover--this is the inspection plate with an aggravatingly large number of screws between the
F-1226-R and -L seat ramp floor parts. I couldn't find the part number. The part you are checking for buckling is the F-1203A bulkhead. The center portion of the bulkhead exposed when you remove the seat ramp cover is what will be buckling
RV-12 #332
N73HR Now flying!
Austin, TX

Last edited by engineerofsorts : 01-16-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added information
Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 PM

I work on the student built 12's mentioned above in addition to my 12 and a friend's.

We have pretty well established that after gross errors like skin trimming, wrong parts in the spar channel, etc, the stub spar(s) fit is behind tight pin fit.

And as Rob described, removing the seat pan allows the front bulkhead to clearly show the stub spar misfit (bulkhead deforms to unload the stud spar stub misfit by being too wide) is behind the tight pins.

And as mentioned by earlier posters, taking a slow process as described by Madmaveric works.
N199AD One Design...SOLD
N99AD BD4, flew for 22 years...SOLD
EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
CFII, MEI, CFIG
Old 01-17-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerofsorts View Post
I was using the wrong name--the proper name is seat ramp cover--this is the inspection plate with an aggravatingly large number of screws between the
F-1226-R and -L seat ramp floor parts. I couldn't find the part number. The part you are checking for buckling is the F-1203A bulkhead. The center portion of the bulkhead exposed when you remove the seat ramp cover is what will be buckling
Hi Rob
Thank you for clarification. This helps

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/magic.carpet.aviation
12-Town:http://12town.com/profile/Chris
=VAF= dues paid for 2018
Old 01-17-2018, 05:22 AM

Just to add to the earlier fix for mine. There is a benefit to having a tight spar stub as you can make the fit be more uniformly, meaning more wear would be needed to make it a lose fit.

When I first started marking my stubs, there was only one or two small points that it was touching in the socket.

As I gently removed a bit of the high points each time, the high spots became wider, until I was pretty much having to skim a small amount off the complete radius.
It made it more difficult to 'rub' the ink off as I got further into it as it was now more like a ball and socket, meaning more rubbing was needed to show where it was touching.

In some ways I'm glad it happened as it means the spars are secured with more of a mating surface now, rather than a couple of high spots.

So if you do have to do the procedure, think of it along the lines that you are making a better fit rather than correcting a mistake, it a makes the extra work a bit easier.

In some ways I'm surprised this isn't the standard method of getting these to mate fully (i.e. the stubs start out all oversized) but I guess VAN's has enough data to show it isn't going to cause issues later, and it is a bit of a tedious job on your own.

A correctly fitted wing with high spots would need less wear to become a lose fit as you only need to wear off the high spots, so having to do this gives more wear tolerance in future. whether the extra tolerance is needed or not is a different question.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:28 PM

Smile

An update. It was indeed the over-sized rear spar stub. Pretty much used the procedure Madmaverick mentioned above. Built a wheeled cart for my saw horses to make the wing removal and refitting a one man operation to facilitate the multiple times I had to do this. Used a dry erase marker to "paint" the ends of the spar to highlight the high spots. I ended up having to remove a fair bit of material - about .025 (not surprisingly). Left the fit a bit tight as I expect things to loosen up after a few landings.

Thanks to all for the help. Every input was valuable.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:59 PM

https://www.harborfreight.com/medium...der-69548.html

Good advice on the Muffler Expander .....

Our spar pins were VERY stubborn going in. This is what we suggest....

1. Grind down/smooth the ridge on the end of the pins to make it more of a bullet shape.
2. Grease the pins liberally using lithium grease or similar.
3. Insert the muffler expander in one spar hole and use a socket wrench to expand the radius of the muffler expander. That will produce a PERFECT alignment on that side.
4. Now move the wing tips up and down to bring the opposite bushings into alignment (feel the inside with your fingers).
5. Fabricate a shim and wedge it between the spars and the white plastic block in order to bring it into alignment. Ours required a .064 shim.
6. Twist and turn your greased pin into the bushing hole, tapping it with a plastic tipped mallet to until the pin is in place. It gets easier each time.
7. Remove the muffler expander..... and twist/turn/tap the pin into place on that side. Wear shop gloves so you don't slice your hands on the sides.

After inserting/removing the pins a few dozen times, it actually become easy. We use a banquet table with the legs sitting on Harbor Freight moving casters to support a wing when removing it from the fuselage. We fit two RV-12s in one T-hangar.... That requires one wing to be removed from one airplane. Easy enough to do with one person.

I hope this helps.....
RV-12 builder assist and phase 1 flight test
EAA/AOPA/Vans Air Force 2018 Supporter