What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument Panel design program wanted

marv1121

Well Known Member
I am going to make a new instrument panel for my RV-4 which is my everyday flying machine. I do not want to remove the old panel until I have the new one ready to bolt back into it, therefore keeping it in flying status.
I have not found any computer program for designing a panel so I can play around with different layouts.
One well known company I called said they could cut the holes for me in a square sheet of metal and I could cut the upper curve out later. That just does not make sense to me.
Anybody have any advice here.

You can look at autodesk fusion 360, free full cad/cam software. You can download the blank panel dxf from vans, then grab dxf or iges from EFIS vendor sites, etc.

There is a program called XPanel that will give you the ability to do layouts. You can try it for free, but can't save your work without buying it (~$80). It is found at http://www.xpanelsoftware.com

I don't think this program is accurate enough for final panel cutting, but it will let you try a variety of panel layouts and can be used to convey what you want to the panel shop. The panel shop can then transfer your layout to their CADD program for exact cutting.

There are a number of panel shops that will cut your panel for you for a fee. Suggest you check with Aerotronics (http://aerotronics.com) or Stein Air (http://www.steinair.com) as both shops advertise on this website (see the ads at the left side of this page) and both have a very good reputation. I believe they will do everything from cutting the panel to selling you the avionics to providing you a completed and wired panel for installation in your plane.

Old school. Get the new piece of aluminum for the panel and move around paper cutouts of what you want. Watch for interference with any deep components. Use a Sharpie to do the final layout for your cuts.

Cutting the panel is just time, a hole cutter for the round stuff and a Dremel tool cutoff wheel for the square stuff. Cut a little shy so you can file to your line.

Carl

First off you can get a .dxf CAD file from Vans of the panel shape. I know this is the case for the RV-7, but I assume they are available for other models.

I used frontpanelexpress.com for my multi-piece panel. They have their own free software tool which allows on the spot estimates of the cost. They will engrave and powder coat the completed panel for you too. These panels are not cheap but they look very nice and professional. This program works very well, but it only shows the panel and the cutouts probably not the best for visualization but it is easy to use and easy to move things around once you get the hang of it. You can build models of say an steam gauge which has groups of holes as a single model. The only area where you need another tool to make cutouts is if the shape is irregular meaning not square, circular, rectangular, or etc. I had to buy a basic cad program to make those cutout models. They will powder coat with a custom color for an initial small setup charge.

I'm doing a panel swim now using Fusion 360. It's going very well.

One caveat. For some reason, you cannot import the Vans DXF file (at least not the RV-8). I'm not sure if the issue is with the DXF file or with Fusion360. I only know it will throw an error when trying to import it.

If builders start to use Fusion 360 or Solidworks, we can easily share our drawings via the respective cloud services.

If you still need the rv8 dxf imported into fusion, sent it to me in an email and I will make it happen.

ty1295 at gmail

I am going to make a new instrument panel for my RV-4 which is my everyday flying machine. I do not want to remove the old panel until I have the new one ready to bolt back into it, therefore keeping it in flying status.
I have not found any computer program for designing a panel so I can play around with different layouts.
One well known company I called said they could cut the holes for me in a square sheet of metal and I could cut the upper curve out later. That just does not make sense to me.
Anybody have any advice here.

When I built my -4, I generated a CAD file from Van's drawing. It ended working well and the panel is now 16 years old. I often think about updating it, but I, too, am concerned about the down time associated with ripping out the existing panel before having a new one ready to install.

I've always worried that the riskiest task would be to ensure the (existing)top skin (re-)aligns properly with the nut plates attached to the flange of the panel. This part of the assembly is hand fabricated and match drilled, so is not part of any CAD database. I have considered cutting a large (huge) hole in the existing panel and building a sub panel that includes everything. This would allow me to leave the top skin undisturbed, but would somewhat reduce the size of the new panel.

Have you thought about this part of the process? (I would love to find a better way to do it...)

Thanks,

Dean
Bolton MA

You might consider getting a piece of plexiglass the size of your instrument panel. Then use the paper cutouts to arrive at a layout you like. Then cut the actual holes in the plexiglass and mount the instruments.

You may discover something you never would have thought of.

(disclaimer: likely everything I say about AutoDesk SW can be said about SolidWorks SW)

I played around a bit with Fusion 360 for designing a panel. Using a CAD program for designing a panel will not be quick unless you are already fluent with the software.

That said, it can be rewarding. Today I learned how to apply images to surfaces.

Short Animation: https://vimeo.com/220531365

Back