What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Annunciator Not Needed?

Highflight

Well Known Member
Just wonderin'...

Since EFIS systems (from pretty much anybody) can display NAV information such as HSI's and Glideslopes, there's no real need anymore for a stand-alone CDI such as the Garmin 106. In fact, an EFIS HSI with Glideslope would be a better approach instrument. So let's throw out the CDI.

And since all of the EFIS systems that can do that (provide GlideSlope from an approach certified radio) also display very clearly what the source of the NAV input is somewhere conspicuously on the screen, is there any need to have an independant annunciator such as the MD-41?
I mean, it's going to say right there on the screen where the signal is coming from, and even if the signal is good or bad (such as "No GPS" or whatever which is the same as a CDI flag).

I know there is a regulatory requirement for conspicous display of NAV source for a system that is wired to use more than one NAV input, but I'm wondering as much from a practical point of view as much as regulatory requirements.

Any thoughts?

Back