What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Access to fuel tank

Snoho3

Well Known Member
Looking for some advice here... I'm building a set of QB wings and have closed up the tank access plate using pro seal. A little prematurely, as I find that I now need to gain access to the inside of the tank again. Doh! The pro seal has set and I can't see how it would be possible to remove the access plate as the plate is of a thicker material than the rib it is pro sealed to. I did not use the cork ring as recommended elsewhere. I am not able to pry or cut under the access plate without damaging the thinner rib/tank wall. So - any suggestions for gaining access?

I think the simplest (only?) way would be to merely cut an access hole in the top or bottom skin, make my corrections inside the tank, then fabricate a cover and rivet/proseal it back in place. Apart from the lousy appearance, the top skin location would lessen the chance of future leaks as compared to a bottom patch, right? And provide an easy ongoing visual check for future leaks. For this reason I am a thinking it may be better to keep the new acces panel within view.

Looking for inputs on alternatives here - has anyone been in a similar situation? Are there other better ways to gain access into the tank? If my solution is the best, are blind fasteners and proseal adequate to close things up?

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

By using a hard plastic prying tool or a phenolic scraper, you can pry off the access plate. If you're careful not to gouge the rib, you could probably use a metal prying tool. After you get the plate off you can clean up the tank rib and access plate with a sanding disk and die grinder. Clean it thoroughly with MEK and you're done. It becomes pretty easy after you break a few inches of the seal around the access plate.

I've done this on several 7 and 8 tanks. If you ever have a fuel leak around the plate's screws, this is the process you'll use to repair the leak.

Keith

I've seen people suggest a plastic serrated picnic knife. Get several and "saw" away.

If you HAVE to make a new access port, go through the back of the tank.

Thanks for the replies and for the reference thread. I guess all I needed was some encouragement as my first few attempts to remove the access plate were too timid. I was afraid I'd bend the rib. Finally got the proseal all released/separated by using moderate heat and a flexible putty knife. Took some tapping with a mallet but - done. Still cleaning up but MEK seems to work. Really appreciate this forum.

Building on!

I had to do that once as well, I used a 6" long stainless steel ruler (very thin) to work the edge, then get a flat blade screwdriver in there to hold it a little open and continue to work it around. It takes patience and a bit of heat will help.

Guitar string

I've used a guitar string tied to a couple dowels to remove stuff like that. Amazing what that string will cut. Dave's link is a good reference. He mentions a product that will soften proseal.

Back