What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slow or Quick Build RV-10 Body?

Hi,

I have the RV10 emp done...Soon I am going to build the body...I wanted to go QB Fuselage, but it is expensive and the wait time could be long. I may have to build most of the body alone...

2 Questions:

1. Has anyone built the RV10 body alone?

2. Should I go slow or quick build?

Thanks!

By body alone, do you mean without doing the wing kit first?

I built mine that way, you just order the spar box kit along with it. Very common once the technology got to the point that the wing spars no longer needed to be match drilled.

In my opinion the legacy build fuselage was the most enjoyable part of the build. It is simply fun. Something satisfying on almost every page. You need to build up that enjoyment and satisfaction because one day you're going to be doing the cursed doors.

I wanted to do a/c and insulation so legacy build was the only way to go for me.

The wing kit is repetitive and rather boring with about a gazillion countersinks. Save the quick build money for that.

Last edited:
I'm doing slow-build wings and fuse. Working on wings now. The above post is correct... millions of countersinks. I'm into it about 30 hours so far and it doesn't look like I've done anything.

But, I'd rather take the money i save on the slow build and put it toward toys (and avgas). Plus you mentioned the lead times. Maybe on my next build I'll go the faster route - but so far, I'm enjoying the process.

It's all about money and how you value your time. Our opinions don't count.

I built 90% of my RV-10 by myself. I can't recall much that I couldn't perform the task by myself on the fuselage.

As Myron stated, the fuselage is the most diverse and enjoyable part of the build.

If you can get in at least 20 hours a week, you most likely can have it past the quick build state by the time a quick build can ship. The wings on the other hand are the most boring repeative part of the build. If money is no object, get the quick build,

Maybe another approach?

I'm getting ready to build a slow build kit to quick build status at Synergy in Eugene, OR in September.

This is not the lowest cost approach nor is it necessarily the quickest. I could order a QB fuselage, but as you know they are 3-4 months out (published lead time) but in reality probably somewhat more.

For me, the reasons are multiple. One - I had the most fun I have had in years building the empennage and tail cone at Synergy back in May. Two - the quality of the build exceeded anything I imagined I could do. The folks at Synergy held me to high standards and we achieved that. I expect the fuselage will be similar - and exceed what the Filipinos achieve - which is pretty good. Three - I would like to install floor insulation, which you cannot order as an option on a QB. Four - my spouse is actually the one who pushed me in this direction. She helped for a couple of days and observed how much fun I was having. She then encouraged me to return to build the fuselage at Synergy. So how could I refuse?

As an engineer with a Master's in Business - she constantly reminds me of the adage - Quality, Cost, Speed - pick any two. I'm all about the quality, she is all about getting this done before I'm too old to fly it. So, it's going to cost a bit more.

Everyone has a different situation and motivation. I highly recommend Synergy if you can afford it!

I'm getting ready to build a slow build kit to quick build status at Synergy in Eugene, OR in September.

This is not the lowest cost approach nor is it necessarily the quickest. I could order a QB fuselage, but as you know they are 3-4 months out (published lead time) but in reality probably somewhat more.

For me, the reasons are multiple. One - I had the most fun I have had in years building the empennage and tail cone at Synergy back in May. Two - the quality of the build exceeded anything I imagined I could do. The folks at Synergy held me to high standards and we achieved that. I expect the fuselage will be similar - and exceed what the Filipinos achieve - which is pretty good. Three - I would like to install floor insulation, which you cannot order as an option on a QB. Four - my spouse is actually the one who pushed me in this direction. She helped for a couple of days and observed how much fun I was having. She then encouraged me to return to build the fuselage at Synergy. So how could I refuse?

As an engineer with a Master's in Business - she constantly reminds me of the adage - Quality, Cost, Speed - pick any two. I'm all about the quality, she is all about getting this done before I'm too old to fly it. So, it's going to cost a bit more.

Everyone has a different situation and motivation. I highly recommend Synergy if you can afford it!

I've seen a few of your posts about synergy, no doubt wally is awesome. I appreciate his eaa hints for homebuilders and it's good to know vans entrusts the rv-12 to him.

Out of curiousity, what's the cost difference between a quickbuild fuse (or wings) and synergy air builder assistance? I'm assuming you're paying for an equal or greater level of completion at synergy, but it's tailored to your preferences.

Yes, I went to SynergyAir and did the empennage build. They are good but you have to watch your plane as they help. You build a lot of the plane and they assist. Doing the fuse there will be really expensive!!! The cost is way more than Van's price. Phil and Allen are awesome at building planes there. The price at Synergy to do the temp and cone is about $6000.00 (their help only) plus hotel, food, time off work, and the price of the kit.

I was told at SynergyAir that I would have to have help to build the body,so that is my question.

Yes, for the wings I am going fast build. I am ordering those after the body, since they just sit around until your done.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure

I've seen a few of your posts about synergy, no doubt wally is awesome. I appreciate his eaa hints for homebuilders and it's good to know vans entrusts the rv-12 to him.

Out of curiousity, what's the cost difference between a quickbuild fuse (or wings) and synergy air builder assistance? I'm assuming you're paying for an equal or greater level of completion at synergy, but it's tailored to your preferences.

I originally estimated the all-in cost as somewhere between $7500-10,000 more than Van's to slow build a fuselage to quick build status. Now with more information from Synergy, I believe I will be on the low end of the estimate and possibly a bit below even that. This, of course includes housing, meals and rental car since I am not local.

I am considering it to be like a vacation - so I expect it will cost something. As I said before, I found it to be tremendous fun and the quality level was very high.

I originally estimated the all-in cost as somewhere between $7500-10,000 more than Van's to slow build a fuselage to quick build status. Now with more information from Synergy, I believe I will be on the low end of the estimate and possibly a bit below even that. This, of course includes housing, meals and rental car since I am not local.

I am considering it to be like a vacation - so I expect it will cost something. As I said before, I found it to be tremendous fun and the quality level was very high.

Ok, so you are saying that it will cost about $30,000 to buy a slow build fuselage and and have it brought up to QB status?

Synergy Quality is pretty good. I think I escaped with only a few funky rivets. Even those guys have issues. The nice thing is you get done faster.

Probably not too far off...

I think your estimate is probably close.

For a QB from Van's, it would be around $16K for the kit plus $7100 for the QB (includes a $1300 center carry through/spar) plus $600 for crate plus shipping. That's just under $24K.

If I'm correct on the estimating from Synergy and on the low end - $31K or so. I'll know better after September.

For me, the journey is a big part of this experience. I learned a lot during the tail build, as I'm sure you did too. I need to learn a lot more.

Yup, I can see that as being a vacation of sorts. Too bad about the travel, though.

You lost me on the costs though... I'm guessing you meant Synergy is 7.5k - 10k more than a quickbuild? The quickbuild fuse options from vans will costs 7.3k.

If not, and you're estimating to be closer to 7.5 than 10, you're doing it cheaper and faster than vans....and that's very tempting.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear

My best guestimate of the cost to do "my own" quick build from a slow build kit is $7500-10,000 more than the cost of a Van's quick build. So that would be in the $31K range versus the $24K cost of a QB kit from Van's.

It's not the low cost option.

The fuselage kit is not something that you want to blast through quickly. There are a lot of "systems", wiring, antennae placement, and interior finishing stuff you want to plan through very carefully.

I'll give you an example. A lot of my interior is powder coated in a textured/speckled finish that matches my instrument panel and is iron tough, easy to clean, and draws lots of compliments. The removable panels are easy to have done but two areas that I really wish I had done before assembly are the long outer faces of the center tunnel side panels and the rear cross brace that supports the rear seat backs. I could only paint those after assembly and it kills me that I didn't think to powdercoat them first.

Last edited:
The fuselage kit is not something that you want to blast through quickly. There are a lot of "systems", wiring, antennae placement, and interior finishing stuff you want to plan through very carefully.

I'll give you an example. A lot of my interior is powder coated in a textured/speckled finish that matches my instrument panel and is iron tough, easy to clean, and draws lots of compliments. The removable panels are easy to have done but two areas that I really wish I had done before assembly are the long outer faces of the center tunnel side panels and the rear cross brace that supports the rear seat backs. I could only paint those after assembly and it kills me that I didn't think to powdercoat them first.

Great points!! Thanks! Ya, one guy from New York I think had an RV10 body they were doing at SynergyAir. It had a textured finish that was painted, but it was kinda rough. What finish did you use for your interior? Why powder coat the tunnel sides?

I think I am going slow on body and fast on wings...everyone builder I know says go fast on wings.

My best guestimate of the cost to do "my own" quick build from a slow build kit is $7500-10,000 more than the cost of a Van's quick build. So that would be in the $31K range versus the $24K cost of a QB kit from Van's.

It's not the low cost option.

Plus, Food, lodging, and rental car...I stayed downtown and a small motel...Was kinda cool!

Man, everything adds up...

Already included

Plus, Food, lodging, and rental car...I stayed downtown and a small motel...Was kinda cool!

Man, everything adds up...

I included $150 per day living expenses for 20 days in my estimate. I stayed at a VRBO type rental - garage apartment out in the country. For me, it worked out great and already have the same place reserved for when I return.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

I appreciate the advice. We are building at Synergy only to QB completion. I will complete the rest once I get it back to Georgia. I have powdercoating equipment here and plan to use it extensively during the build.

As to the first question, can one build the fuselage alone. I skipped the wings and went directly to the fuselage. I have done all of the building alone excepting a small number of rivets in the center bottom. For those few (perhaps a total of 50 or so) I needed help bucking.
As for lifting, moving etc. I was able to do all of that myself with a little ingenuity. The move off the table to peg legs (supports attached to the spar ends with castors) and a rear support dolly was accomplished by suspending the fuselage on straps, moving the table, attaching the peg legs, and lowering to the floor. It took about an hour.
There was nothing in the build that was unusually difficult other than rivets in tough locations to buck/rivet. I made a number of small custom steel bucking bars (think steel suppliers scrap bin with a little grinding) to get into those difficult locations.

As for QB, I enjoy the process too much to let anyone else have the fun. I would rather spend the money on toys and am anyway somewhat cash limited in my build progress. If I opt for QB on anything it will be the wings, but unlikely.
I am very happy with my decision to skip the wings, as the fuselage completion has allowed me to work on much of the system installation that would otherwise have to wait.

As to the first question, can one build the fuselage alone. I skipped the wings and went directly to the fuselage. I have done all of the building alone excepting a small number of rivets in the center bottom. For those few (perhaps a total of 50 or so) I needed help bucking.
As for lifting, moving etc. I was able to do all of that myself with a little ingenuity. The move off the table to peg legs (supports attached to the spar ends with castors) and a rear support dolly was accomplished by suspending the fuselage on straps, moving the table, attaching the peg legs, and lowering to the floor. It took about an hour.
There was nothing in the build that was unusually difficult other than rivets in tough locations to buck/rivet. I made a number of small custom steel bucking bars (think steel suppliers scrap bin with a little grinding) to get into those difficult locations.

As for QB, I enjoy the process too much to let anyone else have the fun. I would rather spend the money on toys and am anyway somewhat cash limited in my build progress. If I opt for QB on anything it will be the wings, but unlikely.
I am very happy with my decision to skip the wings, as the fuselage completion has allowed me to work on much of the system installation that would otherwise have to wait.

Thanks! I think I am going the slow route now on the body!

QB

I ordered a QB fuselage on December 11th and it was delivered to PA last Saturday February 10. That's under two months turn around to door step. I just finished up removing all the floor pans and looking it over and I'm happy with the work they did. It was more $ but to me worth it. I can now start connecting the two together.

Mike C

Back