What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax RV 4

Good luck

Thanks for sharing.

Good luck, we don't see too much from Italy.

Keep us posted.

Charlie

Italiano Engine-eering...

Alex,
Great video. Like the Turbine RV4, the lighter (R912S) engine has to be mounted further forward for the CG. Both the engine, GT prop and sliding canopy appear very well engineered, not surprised given your location!
I worked very hard building my RV4 to keep the empty weight down to 925lbs (419KG) Your friend's RV4 at 390KG (859lbs) is exceptional! With the R912S the power to weight ratio should be similar to a 1000lb/150HP LYC RV4.
Now, if he upgraded to the R-914...:)

A lighter, more efficient engine in a much lighter weight, proven design? I look forward to the first flight report!

Ciao,
Smokey

PS:I rebuilt a Sonerai 2L "Baby RV4" in 2016 and spent alot of time at weight reduction to achieve 557lb/252KG EW. Nick Paoli (Yes, there in Italy) installed an R912S in his Sonerai S2, 40 more HP (45%) than the standard VW at nearly the same EW (252KG)!
Performance? Bellisimo!

https://youtu.be/0g7YITBOfAw

PSS: My wife recently bought a Stelvio. A light, efficient, very well engineered 4CYL turbo Sport SUV. She likes it so much I never get to drive it!
Italian engineering!

Last edited:
This is going to be killer with the new 915is. The engine is heavier (about inline with a Corvair or a super light O-200). It is rated for 141hp with 135 continuous up to 15,000 ft.

Back