What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lord mount replacement/selection

KatanaPilot

Well Known Member
The RV-7A project I am working on had the engine mounted for possibly 5 or 6 years but never ran.

I removed the engine to send to Penn-Yan for overhaul and recently removed the Lord mounts. They physically look fine, but I have not measured them versus spec for compression or expansion of the donuts. I know they will sag over time and maybe that's a good thing for fitting of the cowl and spinner. My concern of course, is the years of sitting in the shop with the engine weight on them. I know they are designed to support the weight of the engine and all of the forces encountered in multiple G flight.

I am contemplating replacement with new mounts. I can go with the stock mounts from Van's (J-9613-40) or for about the same money go with the slightly harder J-9613-49. The airplane will be used for aerobatics.

The money is not insignificant but safety, durability and longevity are the primary concerns.

Any opinions on -

1. Replace or reinstall the old but "unused" mounts?
2. If replace - go with the stock or harder mounts?

I'd keep the old ones. IMO, these are an "on condition" item. Mine haven't noticeably sagged in 16 years, 1000+ hours. When they do sag or show obvious signs of degradation, I'll replace 'em.

Back