What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosance FADEC operations?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi all,

I am the new proud owner of a RV6A which is equipped with a Aerosance FADEC system.

The plane has been sitting for a couple of years and it's coming out of its conditional inspection tomorrow. :) I am hoping to fire it up to see how it runs but I have no clue how to use the FADEC. I am more versed in the carb system. I hear its easy but I want to make sure before I turn the key.

Does anyone have a checklist for an RV equipped with a FADEC?

Can someone walk me thru the process (start-up, run-up, shut-down etc.)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to blow the engine on my first start-up.

Also, does anyone know if the boost pump needs to be on for initial start up? I would assume yes considering the injector lines need to be primed.

Thanks in advance,
D

Last edited:
Electronic fuel injection

I have EFII and have been very happy with Robert Paisley and his great service. My RV10 runs extremely smooth and performs beyond my expectations. I also run duel electronic ignition and plenty of battery backup.

advertising other ignition systems does not really help the OP, back to topic...

i used to monitor the aerosance fadec developments quite closely around the time of our engine selection...

there was quite an active yahoo group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Aerosance_Fadec

it seems to still have some activity / members and may be your best bet to reach some competent people quickly.

also, i remember there was a quite active builder in the netherlands (rene bubberman) who installed an aerosance fadec. http://websites.expercraft.com/PHVII/ seems to be his site

good luck!

FADEC

Hi,
I have been flying with Aerosance FADEC in my RV-8 for a few years now.
As far as boost pump operation I leave it off during engine start. Once engine has started it stays off until I do my run-up.
The boost pump has three settings: OFF, ON & AUTO. In the AUTO position the pump will operate on its own when he engine RPM drops below 1000 rpm or the fuel pressure drops below a predetermined level.
During run-up with the pump in AUTO it should run below 1000 rpm and shut off above 1000 rpm.
Take off position is AUTO. When landing when the pump starts to run, on the roll out the pump will start on its own once the RPM drops below 1000 rpm at which time I turn it off.
The only time I use the ON position is during a hot start and then only to smooth out the engine after it has started.
Val K.
RV-8
N81vk

From the FADEC group:

I was at AirVenture last week and stopped in at the Continental tent. I talked to one of their tech reps there and asked; Since you now own Superior and sell Lycoming look alike engines have you given any thought to supporting the Aerosance FADECs on Lycoming engines? He said they are running away from the FADEC as fast as they can. They have trouble with diagnosing many of the problems and some idiot put the timing pickups in the accessory case where the magnets pick up metal particles from the oil and then start causing intermittent problems that are hard to find. The net of this is they don't feel a bit bad about buying Aerosance and abandoning their customers. I suspect even Bonanza customers are skating on thin ice!

It's a shame the FADEC is so complicated that no one can pick up the service and repair the various parts. I love the way my engine starts and runs and in addition to the cost of removing it and instal ling something else I like the whole concept of bringing the old Lycoming engine into the 21 century.

Ask me how I know.. I had the first FADEC for the 0-320 and it didn't work. Fortunately they paid me to change to a fuel injected light speed set up. I have a load of FADEC parts for sale

Interesting. TAC quoted Continental's President in a May 2017 article:

" Ross said Continental would like to revisit the electronic ignition idea after its first foray, the Aerosance system that morphed into the PowerLink FADEC, found little traction in the market, despite significant investment. Technology has leapt forward in the nearly quarter century since that system was conceived."

I could use some help with confirming some error codes while in flight. If anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Back