What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying a project

JwWright57

Well Known Member
Hi all, there is a project available that looks pretty good and it made me wonder....if you purchase a partially completed project how does that effect your capability for future self maintenance and upgrades?

THat depends on whether you build it ELSA or EAB to a certain extent.

If you finish it ELSA, I'm not sure if you have to take a class to be able to maintain it, or if the fact that you built it allows you to. I know you can if you take the class.

If you finish it EAB, then technically you should list yourself and the original builder as builders, and technically the one who did the most qualifies for the Repairman's Certificate. Also, you need to demonstrate that the original builder and yourself built a major portion (the so-called "51% Rule") for your own education and/or recreation. Now, that's all technically speaking. In actual practice, most people in your situation would only list themselves as the builder when they register the plane, then they would probably be able to get the Repairman's Certificate upon showing their builder's log to a FSDO or MIDO (I'm not sure which or if both can issue it) rep. The easiest way I have seen to get this done is to go to the temporary FSDO at a show like Sun-N-Fun with your builder's log (take a lot of pictures of yourself building) and they can give you the Repairman's Certificate on the spot.

If you build ELSA, you must build it exactly as specified by Van's, including engine and avionics. After it is certified, you can make modifications, just like you can with any experimental aircraft. If you build E/A-B, you can modify it however you want during construction.

If you build ELSA, you will need to get letter from Van's stating that all components were furnished from Van's that comprise the kit.

Jeff, if you decide to buy the project, verify that the seller is the person that is registered with vans as the builder. Then you will need a bill of sale that will transfer ownership of the kits to you. Send that to vans and they will change their records to show that you are the builder. When you have purchased or acquired all of the kits and you are ready to proceed with the inspection, they will send all pertinent documents to you. Good luck. Any questions, call vans for the straight scoop.

Hi all, there is a project available that looks pretty good and it made me wonder....if you purchase a partially completed project how does that effect your capability for future self maintenance and upgrades?

Answers so far seem to be relating to aircraft certification. Your question, as I understand it concerns maintenance and modifications.
Anyone can maintain and/or modify an experimental light-sport or amateur-built aircraft.
Difference between EAB and ELSA have more to do with conducting the annual condition inspection. For this you will need the repairman certificate. For EAB, you are eligible if you are listed as a primary builder and can show that you can competently accomplish the inspection.
For ELSA, you must complete a 16 hour course.

Back