What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to get replacement Rotax parts under warranty

dmasys

After the princely total of 25 engine hours since new, it appears that one of the solid state ignition modules of the Rotax has died. Symptoms include an instant complete shutdown when turning off the B ignition switch (ie., A circuit is dead), and swapping the ignition harness connections between the A module and the B module transfers the exactly the same problem to the B circuit.

Since these ignition modules cost over $1K each, seems like the next step is to go for replacement under warranty. Does anybody know how to initiate a warranty claim to get replacement Rotax parts in the US?

Thanks in advance,
-Dan Masys
RV-12 N122LD now AOG :(
RV-10 N104LD flying quite nicely ;-)

Dan, The Rotax warranty policy leaves a lot to be desired, but it is what it is. You'll have to buy a new one, and they will reimburse you after they get the old one and check it. Takes a couple months from what I have heard. I would get it through Lockwood or Leaf and they can help you with the warranty claim.

Pete had a warranty claim, maybe he will comment soon.

Last edited:
After the princely total of 25 engine hours since new, it appears that one of the solid state ignition modules of the Rotax has died. Symptoms include an instant complete shutdown when turning off the B ignition switch (ie., A circuit is dead), and swapping the ignition harness connections between the A module and the B module transfers the exactly the same problem to the B circuit.

Since these ignition modules cost over $1K each, seems like the next step is to go for replacement under warranty. Does anybody know how to initiate a warranty claim to get replacement Rotax parts in the US?

Thanks in advance,
-Dan Masys
RV-12 N122LD now AOG :(
RV-10 N104LD flying quite nicely ;-)

Dan,

Exactly the same thing happened to me. The first thing Rotax wants to know is have you double-checked the grounding wire. Then you have to swap the plugs to the ignition to see if its the switches. Then you have to swap the plugs to the engine to see which module is bad. I returned mine to Leading Edge (after talking with Brett) ordered a new one and I got my money back in about 2 months. There was a time when Kodiak would send them off to Canada and bench em to see if they were really bad because people were sending them back without checking the ground. If you have any problems, let me know...been there. By the way, enjoyed the pics of Sheridan, Wy airport...all my family lives there (too cold for me!)

Pete

Last edited:
You may want to not buy a new one just yet, check archives for poster Jim Hurd, N223JH poster name. As I recall, his "failed" and he sent it in, they pronounced it healthy and sent it back - and then it worked. The archives seem full of info on them.

Module

Dan, Don't know if yours is dead like Pete's was. Mine failed all the on-plane tests including the grounding wires. I ran out of things to do while waiting for LEAF to bench test it, so I really got into the ground points on the intake. Filed 'em down really flush, slathered on some dielectric grease and snugged down good. This was the only thing I did during the wait.

Bret called to say it bench-tested OK and I was an unbeliever (it had failed in-flight) until I had a few hours on the returned module. I don't believe in anything "fixing itself" so I have to conclude that the ground clean-up may have been a factor. You may want to try this before shipping it off (insured!).

BTW, I still check the mags at idle after every landing just in case it un-fixes itself.

Jim in South Texas

Last edited:
Back