VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-12-2018, 10:13 AM

Default Canopy water leak

One of the very few problems I have had with the -14A is water dripping through the seal on the forward edge of the canopy. Having owned an -8A previously for some 15 years, I never experienced this because of its slider. This leak issue may also be a problem with other tip up models.

In my airplane the leak "appears" to be from the area of the two hinge covers. But as you know, water leaks in roofs and automobile rattles can originate from locations different from where they finally show up.

This could be avoided with a canopy cover but I don't use an external one to prevent plexi scratching. I made up an internal cover instead. The airplane is normally in a hangar so the problem does not occur frequently. But to avoid it on overnight trips when rain is expected, I cover that long joint line and the hinge covers with white electrical tape. This isn't elegant but it works and the tape comes off easily with no residue.

Am curious if any of you with flying airplanes have addressed this with possibly a different seal configuration.
RV-14A N465MM - 280 hours and climbing
Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 AM

Flight testing was done on the prototypes to evaluate and prove that the canopy will seal out water, but the seals have to be installed (and the area they are install, prepe'ed properly) exactly as specified in the construction manual.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 AM

Did all that Scott, but still have the leak problem.

Getting the tank sealant bevel "in plane" across the joint was difficult and maybe not good enough in my situation. I used the called out sealant on the hinge covers and installed them per the plans and yet still don't know the source of the leaks (one appears on each side). But at least it's a problem with an easy work around for me.

Since this kit and airplane have been just about perfect, I wanted to point this problem out to other builders just as I did recently with the plastic versus aluminum eyeball vents.

Thanks for the quick response. Will see you at OSH if you're there.
RV-14A N465MM - 280 hours and climbing
Old 07-12-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarvel View Post
Did all that Scott, but still have the leak problem.

Getting the tank sealant bevel "in plane" across the joint was difficult and maybe not good enough in my situation. I used the called out sealant on the hinge covers and installed them per the plans and yet still don't know the source of the leaks (one appears on each side). But at least it's a problem with an easy work around for me.

Since this kit and airplane have been just about perfect, I wanted to point this problem out to other builders just as I did recently with the plastic versus aluminum eyeball vents.

Thanks for the quick response. Will see you at OSH if you're there.
Did you use polyester filler (bondo) to fill the areas specified?

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")