What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X (non-touch) Software Update?

Paddy

Well Known Member
I've asked a couple of times in other threads, but there hasn't been a response by any of the Team X guys yet. Here's the last reference I can find, from August 2018;

G3X (GDU 37X)
While the present G3X V11.70 software does not display the new VNAV guidance provided by the GTN V6.50 software and does not support autopilot coupling to this new VNAV guidance, you may install GTN V6.50 and continue to use the GTN features you are using today. We don?t have a G3X software release scheduled with this capability, but hope to do so at some point.

I believe the current GTN software is now V6.51 and the G3X Touch has had a couple of revisions as well since then, most recently V8.20.

G3Xpert, can your loyal, trusting, early adopter Garmin customers expect an update anytime soon?

Vnav

I am confused. I have non touch G3x displays and a Garmin 650 and Vnav couples just fine. What am I missing?

I've asked a couple of times in other threads, but there hasn't been a response by any of the Team X guys yet. Here's the last reference I can find, from August 2018;

G3X (GDU 37X)
While the present G3X V11.70 software does not display the new VNAV guidance provided by the GTN V6.50 software and does not support autopilot coupling to this new VNAV guidance, you may install GTN V6.50 and continue to use the GTN features you are using today. We don?t have a G3X software release scheduled with this capability, but hope to do so at some point.

I believe the current GTN software is now V6.51 and the G3X Touch has had a couple of revisions as well since then, most recently V8.20.

G3Xpert, can your loyal, trusting, early adopter Garmin customers expect an update anytime soon?

Paddy - I have been holding on the 6.50 SW for my GTN650 until the GDU370 upgrade is ready. Have you found any issues with the 6.50 (GTN) and 11.7(G3X)?

IFR of course. :D

I navigate using the GTN 650, both vertically and laterally.

I have never used the G3 for much more than a display and to control the autopilot since I added the GTN 650.

There is a difference in coupling to the GP on an approach vs coupling to the new VNAV feature recently added to the GTN series.

Paddy - I have been holding on the 6.50 SW for my GTN650 until the GDU370 upgrade is ready. Have you found any issues with the 6.50 (GTN) and 11.7(G3X)?

I was holding off as well since I was doing a lot of IFR flying and didn't want to run into any problems. I finally caved a couple of weeks ago and installed V6.51. No problems noted, the full keyboard is nice and there are a couple of other features that are very useful. Just having the min altitude next to the waypoint in the flight plan page is great, even if I have to select the altitude and command the descent manually to get there...

IFR of course. :D

BillL,
I did the 6.5 update as soon as it was introduced.
Love the new qwerty and have had no issues. IFR

There is a difference in coupling to the GP on an approach vs coupling to the new VNAV feature recently added to the GTN series.[/QUOTE

I do understand the difference. i mis-typed, I set up the descent (enroute) Vnav using the G375 on the flight plan page and let the autopilot track it.

There is a difference in coupling to the GP on an approach vs coupling to the new VNAV feature recently added to the GTN series.[/QUOTE

I do understand the difference. i mis-typed, I set up the descent (enroute) Vnav using the G375 on the flight plan page and let the autopilot track it.

So your using the VNAV that is internal to the G3X. That has always worked. The new VNAV feature added to the GTN recently won’t currently work with the G3X non touch yet. Garmin has yet to add support for that to the non touch.

g3expert?

Still nothing from the Garmin guys? I hope they're just busy with the new stuff (which is really nice by-the-way)...

Hoping for a few upgrades

Sure would be nice to get the new weather stuff and fuel prices shown on the map. Before SnF would be icing on the cake :)

Comfortably Numb...

Still no response from G3Expert? C'mon fellas - throw us a bone here!
Pink Floyd playing in my head now...

Still no response from G3Expert? C'mon fellas - throw us a bone here!
Pink Floyd playing in my head now...

I'm pretty sure they are working on it and it will be out very soon, do you really want them to push it out before they've thoroughly tested it?

updates???

Garmin has typically been pretty good about not orphaning their previous products. Though, with my luck, we'll be the exception! I too am waiting for an update.

Please forgive this "soap box moment": Wish they would have named the touch system something else. Seems that when most folks (Garmin employees too) refer to the G3X touch system, they simply state "G3X". Even when you call in for assistance they have rouble understanding that you are discussing the "legacy" units! Sigh. Google G3X and it's the same thing.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they are working on it and it will be out very soon, do you really want them to push it out before they've thoroughly tested it?

Walt - I'd be happy enough with a simple "we're working on it" but there's been no response whatsoever so far :(

Walt - I'd be happy enough with a simple "we're working on it" but there's been no response whatsoever so far :(

They may have missed it. I would drop them a quick PM with a link to the thread. I can't imagine they are purposely dodging the question.

Larry

Most likely they are on their way down to set up for SNF. That a lot of work and I would give them a break:)

We are still here! And yes, we are busy heading to shows and releasing products. :D

We are working on a release for the G3X. I hesitated to say anything because we have been working on it for a bit, and I thought we would be able to get it out the door before now, but we haven't. We probably would have gotten this software out more quickly if there were any issues that needed fixed, but the system is extremely stable and there really aren't issues to fix. In the future, if we need to upgrade software to ensure you have a robust and compliant system, we will do so.

Also, one of the challenges with the GDU 37x is that we can't implement a lot of new features due to hardware limitations in the display. However, the G3X system has not been orphaned, but it will also not get all of the features of the G3X Touch.

Thanks,
Levi Self

Thanks G3Xpert!

Thanks for the update, Levi. Glad to hear there's something in the works, that's good enough for me. :)

Back