What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting Circles

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
What's the best way to cut circles into composites? I need to cut 2" holes for instance for some air vents. Can I use a dremel and a Dremel Cutting Bit or something else? Using a cutoff wheel makes it difficult to get a circular cut out.

Charlie,
A 2" hole saw from the aviation aisle of your local Home Depot or Lowes would work, especially if you can chuck it up in your drill press and work on the piece outside the plane. If you have to work inside the plane, put it in a regular battery-powered drill, and take it slow and easy.

Added bonus: It gives you an excuse to shop for tools! :)

Merry Christmas!

I just cut holes in my carbon fiber panel

I found that a hole saw doesn't give a really clean cut so I cut a hole slightly smaller than required with a hole saw then finished with a sanding drum in the electric drill. Mark you finished hole dimension with a scribe and you can sand right up to the scribe line with precision using the drum.

Charlie,
A 2" hole saw from the aviation aisle of your local Home Depot or Lowes would work, especially if you can chuck it up in your drill press and work on the piece outside the plane. If you have to work inside the plane, put it in a regular battery-powered drill, and take it slow and easy.

Added bonus: It gives you an excuse to shop for tools! :)

Merry Christmas!

I did the same as Moose. Just make sure that the bit doesn't walk while drilling or you may not like the shape of your hole. I've found the if you can get a piece of wood underneath, it tends to be easier.

bob

Just use a hole saw. If you get any chipping around the hole in the gel coat that won't be covered by the vent flange, just make up a small batch of microballoons, fill the chips and sand smooth. Fiberglass is so forgiving!!!

Back