What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fill

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i have the vans wingtip fairing for an rv12 and need to do a little filling to fit the strobe i am going to use. i have to fill a few areas 1/4'' deep. what is the best way? i am afraid of cracking. i have a few of the acs fillers and have used epoxy with micro bubbles. maybe a release on the fill after it is shaped and a layer of cloth? bring the areas up to contour with masking tape, then glass cloth? flox in the filler? i have thoughts but don't know what is best.

Bob,

There are many ways to fill. I would use glass balloons and epoxy (slurry). Do not use flox, it is very hard and difficult to sand. Also, do not glass over the top of slurry. It won't grip. Just be sure to roughen up the surface beforehand with some 80 grit sandpaper so the slurry has something to grab. I like slurry better than other filler for something this deep because it's pretty light and will grab a little better than the others.

hi randy,
glad to hear from you. micro bubbles sounds good. my big concern is cracks. not a problem with the epoxy mix?

Complete novice to Fiberglass

Can polyester micro be painted with just the resin/hardener mix to seal it? I imagine some fine sanding could be done once sealed. I'm working on empennage fairings at present and it is my first fiberglass task. I have used micro-balloon's mixed with polyester resin/hardener to fair in the two ends of the HS and elevators. Scuffed the surface, cleaned with acetone then apply the micro mix. Once it has gone off, I then sand to match both parts. Have repeated often trying to build part up so they match where they meet. I haven't painted anything with just polyester resin/hardener. I used blue foam for the bulkheads in the HS caps but it seemed to melt or dissolve once the polyester resin/hardener was applied with the glass. I'm not happy with the way they have turned out and plan to clean these out and re-do them a different way. All the best to VAF for 2014 this is a great builders/flyers resource

hi randy,
glad to hear from you. micro bubbles sounds good. my big concern is cracks. not a problem with the epoxy mix?

No, cracking is not an issue. I've never seen it crack. I have seen it pop off of a part when not prepped properly.

Back