What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rescued Dog too Big for RV

dabney

Well Known Member
Friend
After reading Howell's compelling story of rescuing the boxer I signed up for PilotsnPaws and had a dog rescue flight the next day, Dec 31st. One problem. When I contacted the rescue organization I discovered the dog was a 12 year old, 120 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback, a little to big for the front, back, or front and back of my RV6A. I borrowed a helicopter and the pick-up flight was completed from L70 Agua Dulce to Ramona in northern San Diego County. The dog took up the three seats in the back of the Jet Ranger. Cooper was a gentle, friendly dog that did not seem to mind the whine of the helicopter. We tried a Bose headset to reduce the noise and the dog tolerated that for awhile. The return flight was to Van Nuys airport where the new excited parents were waiting anxiously. Cooper has a new home and we had a nice flight on a picture perfect day for flying in SoCal.

Has anyone who flys a dog had luck with the headsets made especially for dogs??

"borrowed a helicopter" ??

How exactly does that work? I have borrowed my neighbor?s ditch Witch before and thought I was pretty lucky.

All the best and great work.

Yeah - the part of that story that really stuck out for me was "borrowing" a Bell Jet Ranger.

I want to be your friend! :D

A new record maybe....

...for lives saved tomorrow.

Bruce Sachs and a friend and I will try to save 20 pups tomorrow, from euthanasia in moving them from Lawrenceville (N.E. Atlanta) to Ocala, Fl.

I just couldn't say 'no' thinking of God's helpless little critters.

It'll be my first rescue mission and the first in my -10.

Best,

Back