What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First PNP flight: four labs

Ron Lee

Well Known Member
I saw the post for getting four puppies from Elk City OK to Denver two days ago. Details were finalized yesterday and I departed early this morning.

Upon arrival in Elk City I was surprised to see about six people including a photographer from the local newspaper.

After taking care of piloting duties, we loaded up the pups shown here

Labs1Small.jpg

Three in two crates and one beside me. She eventually worked her way across my lap where she stayed during the cruise portion.

Another woman picked them up at 00V and drove them to Denver. The female yellow lab (on my lap) was a sweetie and I wanted to take her.

If there is a count being kept, add four to the RV-6 series.

Last edited:
Good on ya, Ron....

...Yesterday a stranger walked up to me in a store and thanked me and the other 4 airplanes that did a massive airlift in December from Lawrenceville, Ga. to Ocala, Fl.

You'll never realize how many lives are affected,

Best,

Good Job...

Wow, that's a lot 'O' pooches :D

I've done 3 small pups all in the back of my 7, you definately had them packed in there!

Crates?

Hi Ron,
I've been monitoring the PNP site as I'm a dog lover and would like to help. I'm a little confused about getting a crate in the back of my 7. The dogs in your pic look to be @ 70-90 lbs which would require a good size crate. **** I have trouble getting my travel bag between the canopy and seat backs at times. Seriously though, what type of crate are you using? Folding I assume but any brand reference and size info would be helpful. Also are their any recommended sanitation procedures from PNP that you are aware of for the crates between rescues?
Keep up the good work!

Don Riggs
RV-7 Valerie's Nightmare II

Last edited:
Good job, Ron...and PnP sanitation recommendations

I saw the post for getting four puppies from Elk City OK to Denver two days ago. <SNIP>

Three in two crates and one beside me. She eventually worked her way across my lap where she stayed during the cruise portion.<SNIP>

Way to go, Ron. I just transported my first PnP last Thursday in my 172 (I didn't report it here but I wanted to!!) and I felt really good about moving that Boston Terrier to a rescue group that will find him a good home.

Hi Ron,
<SNIP>
Also are their any recommended sanitation procedures from PNP that you are aware of for the crates between rescues?<SNIP>

Don, on the PnP web site there are instructions related to PARVO prevention that relate how to clean the portable kennel with a diluted bleach solution as well as other precautions. PARVO must be a very communicable and serious infection for dogs, especially pups. Try Googlin' "PilotsnPaws Parvo" and see what you find. [UPDATE: See Ron's next post to see the link.]

Last edited:
Don, the larger pups are about 35 pounds each.

Somewhere on the PNP website I found a way to get two free crates. They are Petmate PetTaxi.

The one in back is a Large (26.2" x 18.6" x 16.5"). 16.5" is the height and was chosen to slide UNDER the seat back bar and above the manual flap mechanism. I was wrong. It did not fit and I had to assemble it in the baggage area. Now I wonder if I can get a larger one back there. Not sure.

The other is a medium.

See if petmate.com has info. here it is

http://petmate.com/Products/Pet-Taxi-Traditional__21086.aspx

These potentially look better:

http://petmate.com/Products/Pop-Up-Kennel__21390.aspx

Actually the fabric ones may be bad in that cleaning them with a bleach solution may be difficult.

This was my first transport. The larger crate was not as high as it should have been but three hours of less than luxury was preferable to being killed so no dog complained.

I am still learning about the process and the biggie is the crate/kennel. Some may not use them but I am not sure that I want to try it. The one lab that was to my right during take-off/landing was fine on my lap during cruise.

Here is info on parvo prevention:

http://tinyurl.com/272bzm4

Last edited:
PnP Parvo sanitation

Yes!
The link Ron posted at the end of his post describes the sanitation procedures I referred to in my previous post.

I found out a few hours ago that the four labs were due to be executed the day I picked them up.

Back