What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage compartment weight

togaflyer

Well Known Member
In the Van?s weight and balance paperwork it shows the baggage area max weight at 150 lbs. On the Van?s WEB page site for the -10 specs, it shows 100 lbs max. What max weight for the baggage area do you use.

Baggage

FWIW. The little decal that comes with the aerosport door compartment said 100lbs distributed load for baggage area.

Last edited:
In the Van?s weight and balance paperwork it shows the baggage area max weight at 150 lbs. On the Van?s WEB page site for the -10 specs, it shows 100 lbs max. What max weight for the baggage area do you use.

Both numbers have been communicated over the years.

Do the math and figure out your weight and balance. Each aircraft is going to be different.

My understanding is the weight limit is set due to CG constraints, not structural strength.

My understanding is the weight limit is set due to CG constraints, not structural strength.

I was about to ask Scott this very question. So, it?s to protect us from ourselves (for those unable or unwilling to do cg calculations)?

The factory recommended baggage area weight limits are typically because of structural design.
Confirming that the airplane stays within CG limits is the pilots responsibility.

Back