What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear leg has excessive toe out

V111Pilot

After going through tires in one season, three seasons in a row (about 100 Hrs/yr), I finally checked the toe of the gear and found that the right side had excessive toe out (by using a piece of aluminum angle against the brake disc, extending forward about 18" the end of the angle was about an inch to the outside).

Assuming this was a bent gear leg I sent it to LangAir and it is within specs.

SO, one solution I am told is to use an oversize bolt and re-drill the bolt hole in the gear/engine mount. Would this would require removing the mount?

The other option given by LangAir was to use a "Step bolt", does anyone know how this is done or have a diagram/pic?

Any other method/advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry I am not much help. However, you might be time and money ahead just to buy a new leg and drill it correctly. You would know it was done without compromise.
One option might be to ream for a taper pin. You would want to make sure this was ok with Vans but there is a lot of "meat" at that end of the leg. It would take a good machinist to set this up properly and you would have one shot at getting it right. Tapering an existing hole for a new path in tempered steel wouldn't be easy. I have only done it in a true hole. A taper reamer that size will set you back some $$ too.
I don't know enough about the engineering of that joint to help you on the "stepbolt" idea. I imagine it would involve enlarging the holes in the socket on the engine mount and finding or machining a bolt to the correct tolerance to rotate that leg just right. Sounds like a challenge.

Hopefully someone who has had this issue will respond with some better ideas.

SO, one solution I am told is to use an oversize bolt and re-drill the bolt hole in the gear/engine mount. Would this would require removing the mount?
I am one of the guys who oversized the bolt with success. I did not remove the mount. It helps with aligning by having the gear on.
Here's the thread with some pro & con comments.
I probably agree with them now regarding lifting by using the engine ring was probably not the best approach.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=145620&highlight=toe&page=2

First, make sure you are measuring correctly. Was the gear off the ground while measuring? With the gear suspended, you are shooting for "0" toe-in/toe-out.
When correctly aligned, the RV style landing gear will have a slight amount of toe-out with the weight of the aircraft on the gear.

I had this same problem on my RV-4 and fixed it last fall. I also sent the gear legs to Langair and they said they were ok. It was my right gear that had excessive toe out of about 2 degrees. If I remember correctly the bolt thru the gear leg is 5/16. I drilled the hole in the mount out to 3/8. I then had a friend make me some offset bushings with a 5/6 I'd and 3/8 od. This gave me about .025 of offset adjustment which was a little more than I needed so I would estimate the I only used about .020 to fix my problem. The buishings had a step on the outside which butted up to the outside of the engine mound and was squared off so I could put a specially built narrow wrench on them to adjust the offset. Unforuntly I don't have any pictures. The drilling and installing the bushings took less than an hour. I have flown it about 40 hours since and it is fine. Call me if you would like to discuss it. 770-639-6900.

you might be time and money ahead just to buy a new leg and drill it correctly.

You don't have to drill the new gear legs/engine mount on -4s. That is completed when built by the work shop.

Last edited:
Back