VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-07-2009, 09:52 PM

Default backup instruments

Mike, thats a very good panel. I wanted steam gages to assist with ITO, or Missed go around. To me they give a quick read during those times that are very critical. climb, enroute and decent are pretty benign. I dont like the idea of fixing a stare at just one do it all box. I also wanted to make a bottom row like yours but the AFS 3500 was to fat.
See Pictures of the RV10 here. http://btconline.net/~sportpilot/RV10/boatright
Waycross, Ga. Airport KAYS
Old 09-16-2009, 10:54 AM

Default Another one from Steinair...

Thanks Stein, Christer, Jordan and anyone else over at Steinair that helped get this project finished. With any luck, we'll fly her to OSH next year.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:54 AM

Default A DIY GRT panel for Tigressa

I just finished lighting up the panel and feeling like I want to share the joy.

The black stripe across the 2 GRT displays is the runway outside the shop - depicted as hard top instead of grass.

The center stack includes a 430W for the big brain, SL30, PS9000EX on the bottom. GTX327 on the right
and a backup stack with a TT ADI and TT AP. The GRT EIS is mounted on a swing out panel on the right.

An Aeroelectric Z-14 electrical system (2 batt, 2 buss, 2 alt) was utilized. Two fuse panels were installed
in the right footwell and only 4 pullable breakers were installed (flaps, AP, and 2 LRC3 regulators). Honeywell rockers and indicators round out the accessories.

The real key to making this a DIY panel was the Approach FastStack product and service. I simply listed the instruments I wanted and
generally how I wanted them to work. Tim Haas at FastStack configured his FastStack box and built a set of cables to
connect each unit to the FastStack box where most all the interconnections between units were made. More important, he
supplied a complete set of detailed documentation of the installation including a one page summary and pin by pin configuration.
I was left with connecting power and ground leads and a few other pigtail connections. Very simple, neat, and done with a
great deal of avionics expertise embedded the offering. I'd highly recommend FastStack for any DIY panel builder. (
I also bought all my non-GRT gear through Tim at good prices and with excellent service).

I was determined to do something other than having the stock air inlets poking out underneath the panel. I wanted the
nice outlets pictured here but was worried about what kind of plenum monstronsity might be required. Turns out
SCAT tubing makes an easy, tight 360degree loop and will connect the outlets with the stock NACA ports without a problem...
of course I'm not finished or flying yet.

Thanks to Bob Knuckolls and the knowledge community he leads on the Aeroelectiric List.
Thanks to Tim Haas at FastStack for really knowing what he's doing.
Thanks to Stein for contributing so much to the community in general.
And a real big thanks to all the builders who post and share their building efforts!

Bill "I sure would like to fly this thing in 2010" Watson
Durham NC

Last edited by MauleDriver : 11-01-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: removed 1 photo and updated second
Old 11-16-2009, 08:51 AM

Default Show us your RV-10 Panel

My new-to-me -10 has an Aerotronics panel that was modified from a Lancair panel to fit the -10. D-100 EFIS, D-120EMS, Trutrak ADI pilot II, 496, SL-30 Garmin 340.
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:02 PM

Default GRT screens and Vertical Power VP-200

Except for some "clean up" items the wiring of the panel as well as the fuselage is now complete. All the systems I have been able to test has been tested and are working. The wings won't be attached until the fuselage is moved to the airport in about 3 months from now so there are still a few systems that need to be tested then.
I have now had a chance to work with the VP-200 and every time I turn it on I learn something new. This is a fantastic unit and I am very impressed to say the least.
The two GRT screens are bright and easy to read. Of course, I have yet to fly the airplane so I will reserve my comments until I do. Suffice it to say that I like what I have seen so far and look forward to flying the airplane and get a chance to use this wonderful technology.
The radio stack is pretty straight forward with a PMA 8000B audio panel, Garmin 430W Nav/Com/GPS, Garmin SL-30 Nav/Com, Garmin GTX 330 Transponder and the GRT EIS. On the right I have installed a Dynon D-100 for a back-up instrument, this should give me plenty of redundancy. Combine all this wizardry with a TruTrak autopilot and XM weather and I should have a great setup for long IFR or VFR trips.
Home field is Waterloo Regional Airport (CYKF) Ontario Canada,

2017 VAF dues paid.

Link to my build site:
https://ivankristensen.smugmug.com/B...ENTAL-aircraft
Old 01-03-2010, 08:10 AM

Ivan, your panel looks fantastic. I can tell you that I am really pleased with my VP-200. You will continue to learn a lot about it after you are flying, as well. It just keeps getting better and customer support from Marc Ausman and his team has been the best.
Your setup and mine appear to be the same except I have two Cheltons instead of the GRT's.
VAF Paid 1/1/2017

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 01-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Default Very Cool!

Ivan, it looks great. I can't wait to see you flying around this summer.
Those screens sure look nice, great choice on layout too.

RV-10 N104XP (1150 Hours)
RV-12 N321UT (Sold)
Old 01-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Default Carbon Fiber panel

Thank you David and Scott for the nice comments. One thing I completely forgot to mention is that the main reason for the good looks of this panel is the Carbon Fiber instrument panel available from Aerosport Products http://www.aerosportproducts.com/ If you have any questions about this or some of the other great products they make available please give Geoff Combs a call.
Home field is Waterloo Regional Airport (CYKF) Ontario Canada,

2017 VAF dues paid.

Link to my build site:
https://ivankristensen.smugmug.com/B...ENTAL-aircraft
Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 PM

Looks really good Ivan! You're going to give Geoff a run for his money I think! Now we have to get you a cover for that EIS and you'll be set. For anyone who might be scared of this, Ivan has done all of his Vertical power wiring/setup himself, along with a good share of the avionics programming. Goes to show that it's not impossible!

Cheers,
Stein
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM

Ivan,
Great looking panel. I noticed the Infinity grips - I'll be doing those soon, myself. How much of Van's stick did you have to cut off?
John