What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Finish Kit deletions

KatanaPilot

Well Known Member
I did a rudimentary search, but I'm lazy and it's easier to start a new thread.

I'm getting ready to order my RV-10 finish kit. I deleted the main windscreen from the fuselage kit and plan to use Cee Bailey transparencies throughout. I'll probably order Beringer wheels and brakes, so I'll need to delete the stock Van's parts. I'm considering a Show Planes cowl, as well.

The door latching mechanism is a bit of an unknown. I understand the stock items are OK, but I think there are higher quality alternatives. So I'm looking for suggestions here.

Anything I need to consider beyond the above and any advice on door handles and latches?

Thanks.

Removed-

Main tire 6 PLY RV-10 (U 15x 6.0-6 (x2))
Inner Tube Main RV-10 (U 15x6.0-6IT)
6 Ply Tire Main Gear (U 5:00x5-6)
Tube for 5:005-6 (U:500X5-6IT)
Grove Whl&Brk 6x6.00 (U-00011)
Nose Wheel w/bearings (U NW501.25)
Axle (U-1009)
Lwr intersect fairing (U-1019-L & U-1019-R)
Upr intersect fairing (U-1020-L and U-1020-R)
Gas strut for RV-10 (C-1016 Door Strut (x2)
Gas strut bracket (WD-1023-PC (x2)
Exterior Canopy handle (C-656 (x2)
Safety latch doubler angle (C-1021 (x1)
Safety latch hardware (BAG-542 (x1)
Safety latch hardware (BAG-543 (x1)

Added-

600N Heavy Door Strut (C-1016HD (x2)
Hinge Pin (SSP-090X6') - Will replace top cowl pins for easier removal.
Hinge Pin (SSP-120X6')

Removed-

Main tire 6 PLY RV-10 (U 15x 6.0-6 (x2))
Inner Tube Main RV-10 (U 15x6.0-6IT)
6 Ply Tire Main Gear (U 5:00x5-6)
Tube for 5:005-6 (U:500X5-6IT)
Grove Whl&Brk 6x6.00 (U-00011)
Nose Wheel w/bearings (U NW501.25)
Axle (U-1009)
Lwr intersect fairing (U-1019-L & U-1019-R)
Upr intersect fairing (U-1020-L and U-1020-R)
Gas strut for RV-10 (C-1016 Door Strut (x2)
Gas strut bracket (WD-1023-PC (x2)
Exterior Canopy handle (C-656 (x2)
Safety latch doubler angle (C-1021 (x1)
Safety latch hardware (BAG-542 (x1)
Safety latch hardware (BAG-543 (x1)

Added-

600N Heavy Door Strut (C-1016HD (x2)
Hinge Pin (SSP-090X6') - Will replace top cowl pins for easier removal.
Hinge Pin (SSP-120X6')

Justin,

I was told they couldn't delete the "safety latch" parts from my order, because they were a "safety item." Did you not have any trouble deleting it? Do you know the approximate savings you received by deleting the safety latch kit. I plan on using the Plane Around system. Thanks.

Door struts

You can buy aftermarket door struts super cheap; do a search I think the company is ansbatch or something close to that.

Krea,

Keep Van's door latch mechanism, but instead of the safety latch, get the one from planearound.com. Looks and works better and helps align the door pins while closing it.
Then you can get a really nice looking outside door handle and an inside door handle cover from Geoff at http://www.aerosportproducts.com.

That's what I would do if I did it again.

Lenny

Gas struts

You can get the 600 n struts from bansbach for half what vans charges for them...

Last edited:
Justin,

I was told they couldn't delete the "safety latch" parts from my order, because they were a "safety item." Did you not have any trouble deleting it? Do you know the approximate savings you received by deleting the safety latch kit. I plan on using the Plane Around system. Thanks.

I used the Plane Around system as well, I don't honestly remember if they deleted it or not... I ended up sending a box of items back a few months ago of parts I didn't use from all the kits. They very well could have been in there if they sent them to me.

Also...

Also:

Stock windows or Cee Bailey's
Stock Brakes or Matco (Berringer)
Stock Flap Actuator or PH Aviation Actuator with built in Position Sensor
Stock Cowl or Showplanes
Stock Wheels and Tires or Aftermarket

I would also suggest ADDING the following to save on additional shipping costs:

Engine Baffle Kit
VA-187 4" Duct Flange DO NOT FORGET THIS PART, IT IS NOT INCLUDED WITH THE BAFFLE KIT
VA-186 Oil Cooler Mount
Engine Bolt Kit
Dynafocal rubber mounts

SNIP...

Engine Baffle Kit
VA-187 4" Duct Flange DO NOT FORGET THIS PART, IT IS NOT INCLUDED WITH THE BAFFLE KIT
VA-186 Oil Cooler Mount
Engine Bolt Kit
Dynafocal rubber mounts

I did not use the Van's oil cooler mount. Looking at how the airflow changed direction by bouncing off the firewall, then changed direction after the cooler to conform to the exit airflow it looked like a horizontal mount would be better (photo attached). Note - the photo was taken during fit up. Final install has an adel clamp on the engine mount to the forward lip of the cooler.

If you want to stray away from stock, consider the James wheel pants.

Carl
Oil_Cooler_mount_1.jpg

Wish I had...

Wish I had done this with my cooler as well. Unfortunately, kind of late now. I opted for a larger cooler on the stock mount...

Wish I had done this with my cooler as well. Unfortunately, kind of late now. I opted for a larger cooler on the stock mount...

I used the AirFlow systems 2006X cooler (same dimensions as the one Van?s sells for the IO-540). Never had a high oil temp - and I did a hard test lifting off near Phoenix in the summer and climbing to 15K? on my way home.

Carl

Data point. I have the stock cooler in the stock location and my oil temps are just fine year around flying between Northern Va, Florida, and Louisiana.

Seat Assembly?

Anyone delete the seat assembly (CA SEAT ASSEMBLY -10) and purchase aftermarket?

What I can't tell from the packing list is if these are both the seat structure and the upholstered cushions or merely structure and tailored foam ready to be upholstered. Didn't use the stock seat pans for our -7 but I don't know if the aftermarket companies provide both the seat and the upholstery.

I'm not a huge fan of the stock seats so probably will go aftermarket for the interior. Wish Classic Aero would get back into this market. Luke D. are you listening? ;)

Anyone delete the seat assembly (CA SEAT ASSEMBLY -10) and purchase aftermarket?

What I can't tell from the packing list is if these are both the seat structure and the upholstered cushions or merely structure and tailored foam ready to be upholstered. Didn't use the stock seat pans for our -7 but I don't know if the aftermarket companies provide both the seat and the upholstery.

I'm not a huge fan of the stock seats so probably will go aftermarket for the interior. Wish Classic Aero would get back into this market. Luke D. are you listening? ;)

There's no upholstery in the kit. The seat structures and foam is what comes in the kit - the upholstery is 100% aftermarket. I don't think Van's will allow you to delete any of that from the kit as it's part of the crashworthiness of the design.

There's no upholstery in the kit. The seat structures and foam is what comes in the kit - the upholstery is 100% aftermarket. I don't think Van's will allow you to delete any of that from the kit as it's part of the crashworthiness of the design.

There is no crashworthiness since it's an experimental aircraft. There is no 25.301 or 25.307 compliance since it's never been certified.

There is no crashworthiness since it's an experimental aircraft. There is no 25.301 or 25.307 compliance since it's never been certified.

I know that. I also know that you are free to do what you want you want since it's E-AB. Nevertheless, the design incorporates those seat for crashworthiness even though there is no regulatory requirement to do so. Consequently, Van's will not allow you to delete them from the kit. You may choose not to install them but that would not be recommended by anyone I know.

Todd is correct. Vans will not let you delete the seat structures, just like they won't let you delete the safety latch kit. I suspect that, in their eyes, they need to provide you with these items for safety and/or liability reasons. Whether or not you use them in your build is up to you, the builder.
A while ago, I had the chance to buy portions of an RV-10 project that the builder purchased without a pre-buy and later determined to be un-airworthy. I was going to buy several items that had not been installed in his airplane, but couldn't, because I was told by Vans that they were unable to delete those things from my order (seats and safety latch kit) for "safety reasons."

All understood. I've submitted my order with the items I wanted to delete and now I'm just waiting to hear back from Barb or Anne-Marie.

Alternative oil cooler

Any reason not to get this from Chief?

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/aec-8000215.html

Looks to be same size as stock, claimed 2 oz lighter and leaves wallet $70 heavier than the Van's part.

Just researching options. I know many went with oversize coolers but others didn't and have no issues...

Appreciate feedback.

Also:

Engine Baffle Kit
VA-186 Oil Cooler Mount
Engine Bolt Kit
Dynafocal rubber mounts

Aren't these parts included in the Firewall Forward Kit?

Thanks,

Idk

I did not purchase the fwf kit.

That flange is NOT included in the baffle kit, though.

It is, however, the first step in the baffle instructions!

Any reason not to get this from Chief?

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/aec-8000215.html

Looks to be same size as stock, claimed 2 oz lighter and leaves wallet $70 heavier than the Van's part.

Just researching options. I know many went with oversize coolers but others didn't and have no issues...

Appreciate feedback.

None I could find. I planned to purchase this cooler before finding one used for 5 hours. I spoke to pacific coolers, who make that unit, and they claim it is compatible and better, in their opinion, than the niagra.

I am rolling the dice on the 13 row being adequate. I fabricated a turning vane (copied from a production add on) to help turn the air into the upper portion of the cooler. The cooler mount is a poor design that will leave a good portion of the air in turbulence at the bottom choke point and starve the upper half of the cooler. It is my speculation this is the reason that many suffer from high oil temps with the 13 row.

Larry

Last edited:
I put the upsized 07 cooler on a slightly modified stock mount and have never had high oil temp issues in Arizona. In fact, after a couple of winters I had to install a butterfly baffle just to be able to keep the oil temp in the green in cruise.

I put the upsized 07 cooler on a slightly modified stock mount and have never had high oil temp issues in Arizona. In fact, after a couple of winters I had to install a butterfly baffle just to be able to keep the oil temp in the green in cruise.

Myron,

Can you point me to where I can investigate an upsized cooler. Model numbers, etc. would help, as would some more description of your mods to the stock mount. Thanks in advance.

Sure. I got the plus sized oil cooler here. Specifically the 2007x

https://www.airflow-systems.com/category/aircraft-oil-coolers/

The upsized one is slightly taller than the standard. The bracket is easily modified by removing some of the faceplate at the top where the regular size nut plates go to make the opening larger to take full advantage of the larger surface area of the cooler itself, and then affixing a piece of angle stock on top to position the new nut plates.
Hard to explain but it should become immediately evident to you when you mate the two together.

I can send pix in a couple of days if needed.

Last edited:
Air Flow Systems Oil Cooler

Hi Mike,

The oil cooler Myron is referring to is from Air Flow Systems,the same people who make the Air-Con for the RV-10 etc.

The 2007X fits with only minor mods to the stock oil cooler mount.The instructions that come with it explain all.

I?ll post some photos when I get home .

Back