What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing Tank

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
I was helping friends remove a fuel tank from a painted RV-10 today and we simply couldnt get enough force on the outboard end of the tank to break it free. All of the screws are out, the 21 bolts in the z-brackets are out (we counted those about 5 times), and the bolts on the inboard tank attach are out. Also, we've removed the nut that secures the aileron mid-bellcrank.

The inboard end moves about 3/8" but the outboard end is completely uncooperative.

Thoughts?

Paint can be very "adhesive". I might suggest that you run a razor blade through the tank/wing joint. I know you don't want to cut too much paint, but if it is adhered that tight, it will probably tear the paint if it is not cut.
Also try pounding the joint with the heel of your fist to break the joint loose.

If one end moves, then try shoving a shim of aluminum into the gap as far into that very narrow "V" groove will allow. Then close the open end, using the shim as a fulcrum. It should force the gap open enough to work your way down to the end. I had to do the same thing on my Rocket tanks to get them off.

The tank is off. To Mel's point, we did score all of the paint around the tank...early in the day. Hours later (about 5 minutes after my original post and after hours of tugging, prying, etc.), the tank came off.

Turns out, there was a big smear of proseal between the outboard tank edge and the attach strip, and a later afternoon helper broke that loose. I suspect that proseal maybe wasn't cured when the tank was installed and bonded the tank to the attach strip. Anyway, that's what was holding the outboard edge of the tank in place.

I expected tank removal to be difficult, but aargh.

Back