What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vlad

Well Known Member
She is free now. :D She deserves it. Flawless performance, by the Book of Vans, documented.

40.jpg

There were all necessary attributes; training, first flight and so on, every little thing an experimental test pilot needed. She saw redlines and high temps, landed on grass and kept pace with a powered parachute, was this much from Class A and never let me down.

First Flight picture by fellow VAF member.

Tedspic.jpg

Then cousin figured out my secret program and caught me in the air chasing baby clouds on my 15th hour :D

byTony1.jpg

My DAR worked hard to get me sizable test box from two fsdos. But with RV speeds even this area was small. On one side was The City That Never Sleeps,

NYC.jpg

ocean to the east, then Hindenburg Forests to the south.

Hindenburgsite.jpg

Those are strange woods. Firing ranges and amusement parks are good neighbors :D

SixFlags.jpg

The only thing to complain a bit is the quality of the air but it's DEP job, I just wash and go.

dirt.jpg

Many thanks from the bottom of my heart to Doug for this amazing resource and to all good people I've met through VAF. Keep pounding those rivets it's rewarding.

Last edited:
Outstanding!

Congratulations Vlad. You did it. The start of great adventures.
Fly safe brother.:)

Congrats Vlad. We missed you Tuesday night. Maybe this time next year I'll be in your shoes flying my 40 off. One can hope.

Congratulations Vlad. Now it's time to start thinking about all those possible modifications (including the wheel pants) etc.:D

cheers,
greg

Congrats Vlad! From someone who is looking forward to that day, I can't imagine how it feels.

Would love to get a list of anything that needed fixing, modifying, or changing during the first 40.

Good job

Way to go Vlad. The 9 is just amazing. Got me home from KOSH in 1.5hrs...usually a 8-10 hour drive. Ground speed over 230mph for some of it due to some favourable winds.

LOVE the 9. Should you ever find yourself flying in my country..drop a line and happy to buy you a few Canadian beers.

Congratulations Vlad! You deserve the accolades...she's a beauty.

+1 on the wheel pants though...you know it's indecent to fly without pants! :D

Vlad,
Congratulations!!!!!! I can't wait to get to the point you are! Thanks for the cleco's and waiting to hear from you about the Rivet Gun.
Great Job!
Kim

Way to go Vlad.....

Congratulations Vlad! If I can get away from work on the 8th, I will fly over to Sky Manor so I can see her.

Thank you guys it feels good indeed. Working on her pants :D

Went to see Baloon Festival today (yes I read NOTAMs, called the briefer, stayed high upwind and announced my position :))

Baloons2.jpg

Baloons1.jpg

Then went to say hi to the Lady

hudson1.jpg

and checked my favorite City

hudson2.jpg

Nothing to troubleshoot though any T-shirt company needs a beta tester :D?

hudson3.jpg

Vlad... COMRADE!!!

Nice work there!!! CONGRATS!

Now you must come to Hangar number 5 and see Rich's RV-7!

It is about to hatch in the next couple of weeks!!!

I think I will hang around Plymouth until it does!!! I don't want to miss it!

Come on out there. There is always room for you, brutha!

:) CJ

CONGRATS

I must have missed the posts a few days ago. WAY TO GO VLAD.

I'm not far behind and can't wait. Must be awesome. I'll know soon enough.

Vlad, great news, great pictures, and a great accomplishment. Isn't it great to say "I think I will take the RV for a spin today"?

v, nice going. beats a mini cooper for some fun ehh.

see you next monday at sky manor 9am.

we are headed to sanford maine tomorrow for breakfast 9am.

all invited. rvs rule

Vlad, YES you DO want to see Machine Man's plane! He is putting the finishing touches on it now!

Turbo, Where are you going next Monday? Maybe we can join you?

Congratulations Vlad! When you took your demo ride, you were like a kid in a candy store, now YOU own that store! See you at Oshkosh in 2012.
John N441EL

Congratulations Vlad! When you took your demo ride, you were like a kid in a candy store, now YOU own that store! See you at Oshkosh in 2012.
John N441EL

John thanks for that picture in 2006. Good memories.

Johnpic.jpg

Vlad, YES you DO want to see Machine Man's plane! He is putting the finishing touches on it now!

Turbo, Where are you going next Monday? Maybe we can join you?

john, next monday we are going to see vlad at n40. come on and join us.

Russian for "Hobbs"?

The older Russian fighters carried so little fuel that they timed their flight times down to the second with chronometers in the panel.:rolleyes:

Isn't it lucky that half the world doesn't use "Metric" clocks, with 10-hour days?:D

Awesome news, congratulations Vlad!

See you some Oshkosh... ;-)

Mario do you remember when we decided to go to Oshkosh together again? I do :D We had good time in 2009

MarioandJohn.jpg

Bill,
That is a clock from a Russian combat plane. I had two, one from a MIG is now in Doug's collection and mine is from a bomber. It's not stolen it was presented as a gift by one of my military classmates. The clock is about my age the Geiger counter will probably not pick up any rays :D though DAR suggested to check. It's the most valuable thing in my panel and second important after Whiskey Compass...

Steve,
You do know something about early Russian fighters don't you? I timed my fuel burn with this clock too :)

Vlad,
still can't get my head around not seeing you there last year. With only about half a million people there our paths were boud to cross (at least I thought so).

I'll contact you beforehand next time I'll be in Oshkosh (or NYC).

Mario

PS: your Hudson River photos made my day :)

Congrats Vlad!

Great pictures - especially those pesky hot air balloons :)

Thanks for all your encouragement - hope to be up there soon.

Tom

snip

PS: your Hudson River photos made my day :)

Hey Mario buzz me if you are in town :D Your sister's window is somewhere there right?

Mariossister.jpg

It's my fifth trip via the Corridor nothing interesting to see in concrete jungles :) may be Sally's approach...

howSallysawit.jpg

Thanks for all your encouragement - hope to be up there soon.

Tom

Tom, come tomorrow to Sky Manor as Tony said. When you see Turbo's Six you will get more motivation.

On vacation

Hey guys,

Thanks for the invite - I'm on vacation with my family on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire. Good break from building. Come fly up to 5M3 and I'll take you all boating - got plenty of beer :D. I'll be here until Aug 13th.

Fly safe!

T.

Have you seen his panel? His bear clock stopped working so he couldn't find 5M3. :D:D

but I found 1B2 :D:D

Clouds.jpg

the key is to catch and tie right autopilot (or communicatorrrrr) to the right seat. :D :D.

Last edited:
I'm expecting Vlad will update this thread soon with "4000" !

No kidding! So, according to a pic of the tach time on the Russia trip thread, he's at around 2800 TT over 6 years... :eek:. According to my Texas public school math, that's 466 hrs/year; I know a few airline pilots who don't fly that much!

Back