What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN650 comm rx intermittent

drmax

Well Known Member
My newly installed (by a gamin dealer avionics shop) is receiving something from somewhere causing the RX to show intermittently, and it's very annoying. It's almost like it's squelching but it is set to auto squelch. The antennas are whip style and share comm with my klx155. My klx never had nor has this problem. My audio pnl is kma-24. I'm thinking I had read this issue before, but that was on older units. When I talk, it also sounds like I'm in a box. Very hollow sounding. Hopefully will find a cure here. I did send a message to garmin regarding this issue. Thx dm

Last edited:
Any chance you have AeroLED Position lights? Have you tried turning components off to see if anyone of them are causing the problem? This has also come up because of florecent light fixtures being close to antennas or even a power cable hooked up to your battery for charging.

Any chance you have AeroLED Position lights? Have you tried turning components off to see if anyone of them are causing the problem? This has also come up because of florecent light fixtures being close to antennas or even a power cable hooked up to your battery for charging.
it was pointed out to ck my squelch as it is typically set screwy from factory. Side tone was way high and blasted my ears. I was never in the config mode, as my installer was. Will look today! No led lighting

Holding down the home button, then turning the unit on will put you in config mode. Sounds like you just need to turn the RX sensitivity up.

I've been chasing noise in my 650 for months. With landing lights on, I get a steady RX and static... And I can't find a solution.

The default squelch for the GTN is zero for some inexplicable reason which is the likely source of your problem. Your installer should have changed it, but you can adjust it yourself along with the sidetone by putting the GTN in configuration mode. While on the ground, press and hold the home key while powering up. It will then say Configuration Mode at the top with several buttons showing. Select the "GTN Set Up" page and once you are there select the "Com" page. Adjust the squelch. You might start with 50% and then play with it. You can also adjust sidetone on the same page. MAKE SURE to save the changes you just made by pressing the back button to get to the GTN Set up page and in the top left of the screen press "Update Config Module." Hope this helps.

Same problem with 750

My buddy just installed a 90K panel in his Baron ----- been flying a couple of months but heading for the avionics shop --- 750 doing same thing plus switching frequencies from standby to active, uncommanded. Shop told him that they need to install a "patch".

+1 Chris.
I had the problem that during flight it seemed like the radio in the GTN650 would break sq. for no reason.
I checked and the sq was set very low. Adjusted up a little and the problem went away. I have also played with the sidetone to get it where I want it.

I still have not been in flt deck. Finishing up conditional. Hope adj fixes my issue. What type headphones you guys using? If active, tell me you sidetone settings. As well as squelch. I'm using Zulu 2 and sounds like I'm in a box

Settings

Got a reply back from Garmin. "From factory squelch set at "0". Turn up to 70-75, and side tone to 17.5." This would be a start, I recon. It's actually in the install manual. I would not have started this thread had I'd been the installer. (unless of course this does not fix my issue) Redoing my eng baffling and replacing the nose gear leg bolt :eek:, so have not accomplished any new comm cks.

Squelch

To meet some OEM criteria Garmin has to set the Squelch to "0" percent. The installer needs to set the squelch to the 70-75% in the field. That will normally cure the issue you are having.

Just recently I'm getting near constant Squelch feedback and the RX light on my 650 and GTN200. Tried switching on and off all electrical items. The landing lights do seem to trigger the RX intermittently on the 650, but the 200 on certain lower freq's, 120-122 have constant RX regardless of any and all electrical switches. The squelch on the 650 is already set to 80.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Just recently I'm getting near constant Squelch feedback and the RX light on my 650 and GTN200. Tried switching on and off all electrical items. The landing lights do seem to trigger the RX intermittently on the 650, but the 200 on certain lower freq's, 120-122 have constant RX regardless of any and all electrical switches. The squelch on the 650 is already set to 80.

Ideas?
Any chance you have a USB charging port hooked up to an iPad or some other device? That's what was causing this exact problem with my GTN650. My SL30 was fine, but the GTN650 is much more sensitive than the older equipment. See this post for details.

Last edited:
Any chance you have a USB charging port hooked up to an iPad or some other device? That's what was causing this exact problem with my GTN650. My SL30 was fine, but the GTN650 is much more sensitive than the older equipment. See this post for details.

Nothing at all in any power outlet. Raised my squelch setting to 95 and will try again tomorrow. Today I removed floors and checked antenna connections, moved strobe power and did general checking. Will report back later.

Back