What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3x Touch interface to GTN

gfb

Well Known Member
How does the communication between the g3xt and the gtn series work? I'm curious about the following functionality:

- g3xt tuning gtn radio
- g3xt creating ifr approach/enroute flight plans in gtn
- how does the ifr side of things work with them connected?
- does xm weather from 465 show up in gtn?
- I assume I have to buy databases for each? :)

Thanks!

How does the communication between the g3xt and the gtn series work? I'm curious about the following functionality:

- g3xt tuning gtn radio

Thanks!

The G3X Touch does not tune the GTN.
You enter GTN flight plans in the GTN and they will xfer into the G3X Touch.
The interface between the GTN and the G3X is great and works very well. You can see the complete flight plan including procedure turns and holds on the maps, charts and plates all GEO referenced.
Weather does not xfer from the G3X to the GTN.
Yes but there is a package deal available that makes this less expensive.

G3X

The G3X Touch does not tune the GTN.
You enter GTN flight plans in the GTN and they will xfer into the G3X Touch.
The interface between the GTN and the G3X is great and works very well. You can see the complete flight plan including procedure turns and holds on the maps, charts and plates all GEO referenced.
Weather does not xfer from the G3X to the GTN.
Yes but there is a package deal available that makes this less expensive.

I'm considering using the GNS 400W with the G3X. Is the interaction similar to that of the 650? Other than the obvious ILS/VOR and COM capabilities, will I be losing much by going this route?

G3X Databases

- g3xt tuning gtn radio

Thanks!

Hello GFB,

We received a lot of questions from customers at Oshkosh asking about the database options for G3X and G3X Touch systems with a GTN/GNS/GPS navigator, so it seems useful to repeat that guidance in response to your database question.

The Aviation Database and Bundle Pricing Tool on our website makes it easy to select a system and see the many database options for customers around the world, but below is a summary for U.S. Customers.

With those big G3X displays, it is optional to keep all of the databases updated on the GTN 650. You could instead install EVERY database on a G3X/G3X Touch system for only $149.99/yr and only buy a Garmin U.S. NAV IFR database for the GTN for $299/yr.

US Database Bundle for G3X/G3X Touch Systems $149.99/yr ($12.50/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases, updated as often as you like using an SD card in the display:

• Garmin US Navigation Data (airports, runways, frequencies)
  • Obstacles (e.g. towers - used to provide obstacle visual and aural alerting including obstacle depiction in synthetic vision)
  • Terrain (used to render synthetic vision and provide terrain alerting)
  • FliteCharts (Geo-referenced IFR approach plates, airport diagrams, arrival and departure procedures)
  • SafeTaxi (airport diagrams integrated into moving map that are displayed and zoomed automatically when you need them for taxi and landing)
  • Airport Directory (FBOs, runways, hours of operation, rental cars, etc)
  • IFR/VFR Charts (VFR sectionals and IFR Hi/Lo charts, G3X Touch only)

GTN 6XX/7XX Garmin US Navigation Database $299.00/yr ($24.92/mo)

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
- and - with the latest "Connext" functionality, moving flightplans around from your G3XT to the GTN is also a neat bit of wizardry (tablets too).

Cheers,
Stein

Steve,
We are finishing up the installation of our Dual screen Touch and GTN 650 later this week. I understand that, in some certified IFR navigators, it is legal to fly an IFR an approach with an expired database so long as you confirm with a current chart that the data in the database is the same, i.e. that there have been no changes since the date of the database. Whether a particular navigator allows this depends on the manufacturer's approved flight manual supplement. Does the GTN 650's AFMS allow this?

We received a lot of questions from customers about the database options for G3X and G3X Touch systems with a GTN/GNS/GPS navigator ...

You could instead install EVERY database on a G3X/G3X Touch system for only $149.99/yr and only buy a Jepp NAV IFR database for the GTN. Jepp NAV database updates for the GTN are presently $155 for a single U.S. update and $465/yr.

I discovered the above database setup leaves you without the ability to direct tune a GTR20 to most of the important enroute frequencies.

You do not have the approach, departure, or Center frequencies available. This is unfortunate. I assume the logic is that "approach" is an IFR concept but in reality it's used for all VFR ops in, out, and around controlled airspace.

The work around appears to be to move up to the Americas package at $280/yr for the G3X Touch.

Steve,
We are finishing up the installation of our Dual screen Touch and GTN 650 later this week. I understand that, in some certified IFR navigators, it is legal to fly an IFR an approach with an expired database so long as you confirm with a current chart that the data in the database is the same, i.e. that there have been no changes since the date of the database. Whether a particular navigator allows this depends on the manufacturer's approved flight manual supplement. Does the GTN 650's AFMS allow this?

This is not correct. Currently the FAA allows enroute operations, but not approaches, with an expired database, provided you do a certain amount of checking that nothing has changed. Again, you may not do this for approaches.

Back