What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wichita FBO and tour recommendation needed

cccjbr6

Well Known Member
I am flying to Wichita in my 6A for an overnight this Tuesday. Can anyone recommend a good airport/FBO? I also have about 4 hours available to tour something interesting, preferably aviation related. Any suggestions?

Jabaro (AAO) worked well for me on a short visit last year, and you can kill a couple of hours at nearby Stearman Field watching airplanes from the restaurant....

Stearman field is a good place for lunch and airplane watching, if the weather cooperates. Also, the Kansas Aviation Museum is worth an hour or two.

If your time frame was longer, I'd suggest a side trip to the Cosmosphere, which is seriously one of the best space musuems in the world. But 4 hours is probably too short for that - it warrants the better part of a day to see it all.

mcb

Are you needing a hangar or just a tiedown?

Stearman Field (1K1) is my home base. Probably tough to get an overnight hangar there since there's no real FBO, but you can tie down for free on one of several concrete pads connected to the taxi way. Like Matt B. mentioned there is a great GA atmosphere, a fantastic restaurant on the field, and a lot of GA activity. Several RVs in various stages of construction and a few flying.

Jabara (KAAO) is nearby and caters more to the corporate jet crowd that doesn't want to be inconvenienced by the formality of Mid-Continent (KICT). Pretty easy to get a spot in a community hangar at Jabara, though you'll pay dearly for it and avgas too. Tiedowns are available, but not sure about price.

The FBO at Mid-Continent (KICT) is called Yingling. Decent gas prices for a class C airport. No experience overnighting there, though I'm sure both tiedowns and hangar space are available. It's actually pretty easy flying in/out of KICT if you're comfortable on radios. They're pretty GA friendly.

The last one to mention is Augusta (3AU). Community hangar space is available for an overnight, and so are tiedowns. Fuel is reasonable.

If you're not in need of a rental car, all are good options. The only ones with rental cars on the field are KICT and KAAO. You can probably get an Enterprise delivery at 3AU as well. Getting a car at 1K1 might be a bit tougher, because there's no FBO for Enterprise to coordinate with.

Feel free to send me a PM for more details on any of the above. It would be great to meet up with you while you're here and go for a burger at the Stearman Field restaurant. If you run into any trouble on your trip or need a ride I'm available.

Last edited:
Back