What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-01450 Bearing Bracket Assembly

PatrickN

Did anyone else have trouble with the bearings becoming tight and not moving freely when the F-01450 bearing brackets are assembled? These are the brackets that hold bearings for the CS-00006 control column assembly.

The bearings move freely before assembly. Once it's all riveted together, it appears the bracket distorts the bearing casing slightly.
It may also be worth mentioning that the rivets Vans specifies are _way_ too long.

Did anyone else run into this problem or have solutions to this?

Better late than never.

Found this post from the Wiki.
First, yes, the rivets called are way too long.
Called for 3-7s and 3-6s worked much better.

Interestingly, only one of my bearings got tight when I squeezed the rivets. The other one was still quite free. I used a small rod to move the bearing about and it loosened up quite a bit, though not as loose as it was before, or as loose as the other one. I do not expect it to be a problem.

Better late than never.

Interestingly, only one of my bearings got tight when I squeezed the rivets. The other one was still quite free. I used a small rod to move the bearing about and it loosened up quite a bit, though not as loose as it was before, or as loose as the other one. I do not expect it to be a problem.

I would do everything in your power now to ensure the bearing is free. I am at the point now of connecting the control column to these bearings and if there is any amount of friction, it will get in the way of shimming. It's much easier to drill out the rivets now and fix the problem than waiting until it's installed.

We had the exact same issue. We took the bracket back apart, used 3-6 instead of the 3-7, set with a little less pressure, started with the hole more toward the center and worked our way toward the edges, and then used the scotchbrite wheel to smooth the shop heads down to flush. Worked great.

Better late than never.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I will address this before going further.
Really appreciate the warning that I need to fix now vs later.

Tim

I had the same issue. In my case, I disassembled, cleaned out the primer from the bearing recess on both halves and reassembled. That’s what was binding my bearings. Worth a try.

Hit and Miss Bearing Bracket Assembly

3-6 is the way to go.

Really tried to do this right. The bottom line is the parts are not perfect. Pretty close but not all the holes line up perfectly. Any thing off and there is binding. One was perfect and one was too tight. Will be drilling out and trying again. Really do not know what the difference was between the two but the building gods didn't like my 1st attempt so I'll try again.

PS I had 72 LC parts on my replacement list. I ordered 11 of those last month and I now got enough to keep me busy for a few months. Still having fun and will have to work a little harder in my "job" to cover the price increases.

3-6 is the way to go.

Really tried to do this right. The bottom line is the parts are not perfect. Pretty close but not all the holes line up perfectly. Any thing off and there is binding. One was perfect and one was too tight. Will be drilling out and trying again. Really do not know what the difference was between the two but the building gods didn't like my 1st attempt so I'll try again.

PS I had 72 LC parts on my replacement list. I ordered 11 of those last month and I now got enough to keep me busy for a few months. Still having fun and will have to work a little harder in my "job" to cover the price increases.

On my brackets, all the rivet holes lined up fine, but the bearing recess on one half did not match the other half. As a result, once the bearing was installed, the rivet holes did not line up. Van's told me that alignment was not critical here and to ream out the rivet holes to fit the rivets. The main concern is that the bearing moves freely once riveted together.

Back