What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage woes

Draker

Well Known Member
Just felt like venting. I've probably made more mistakes and sent more E-mails to Van's Support while building the first three fuselage subassemblies than I did for the entire empennage and wing kits. So many gotchas! Latest fun: Did the same thing that a few other builders did in this thread: missed the note on the plans that suggests I should not drill through the F-605C bar doubler where it angles down to meet the center bar. I wouldn't have even noticed the mistake if one of my favorite build logs I'm following didn't point it out. Too bad I reviewed the log after drilling the piece. Also, despite trimming the F-605C bar to the exact dimensions called out in the plans, it's end is 1/16" misaligned with the end of the center bar. This piece is a lost cause at this point, fortunately it's cheap.

I used to think I'm being efficient by pre-cutting all the parts I need for an assembly in one go, and I am learning the hard way about delaying cutting or drilling pieces until the latest possible opportunity.

As more and more of the build moves from "follow the instructions" to "read the plans carefully and do everything pictured", what methods do you guys use to ensure you're not missing anything, or doing a step too early? For the empennage and wings, you could treat the instructions as a checklist:

1. Read the instruction
2. Do what it says
3. Inspect the result
4. Check the box and move on to the next line

With the fuselage, a single line in the instructions can be 20 steps, not all of which are obvious before scrutinizing multiple drawings. I like to "follow along" each step with 6-7 other builder's logs while building to try to learn from their mistakes before I do a part, but even that's not foolproof.

Van's said they've never heard a complaint like that, right?

Yeah, they have, from me, about a decade ago. So you're not alone in your frustration.

Charlie

Ryan,

Yeah it would be nice if Vans would go back and update their instructions and drawing to make corrections or clarify. In certain cases I've looked at the order of things and realized it just won't work like that.

I'm a little farther along than you on my fuse and it's out at LVK. I'm just about ready to flip it over. If you want me to look at something for you or if you want to take a look at how I put something together send me a PM.

Ray

I found the instruction manual became more vague and less comprehensive as my build went on. The empennage, wings and control surfaces are in essence the same kind of construction as the first subassembly you build, the vertical stabilizer. The fuselage is different, and a lot more work. But by this time the instruction manual assumes you are an experienced builder. I'm currently suffering from the poor instructions for the sliding canopy, but I realize that thousands of other builders have gone through this part satisfactorily.

Fortunately, I haven't ruined many parts during my build, and have not yet "painted myself into a corner", but I'm cognizant that I could still do so. My advice is to plan ahead, think ahead and use all of the resources available. This includes the instruction manual, fellow builders either local or their build websites, Vans support, and this valuable resource VAF forums. Sounds like you are already doing this, so perhaps a little more patience?

Hi Ryan,

I'm not sure if you noticed, but there is a 'sticky' thread at the top the 'RV-7/7A' board. When I'm about to start cutting or drilling something I will sometimes search that thread for the part number in question. When I move on to a new plans page I will generally search for that plan page too, as many people reference plans. You may find something that can save you a headache. I have, and I've contributed some as well.

There is a wealth of experience on this board if you use it. I have found it helpful to try to plan ahead enough to be able to research what I plan to do before I cut or drill anything.

Forgotten

Well, i just reviewed the sticky thread. Wish i knew then what i didnt know now. Or something like that. Thanks all for posting. I havent ruined and parts, yet. But now am educated.

Bars

Yep.
I have a few extra bars too. Feel free to follow my blog. Not as good but I tried to document Van's plans and manual issues as well as post them to the "Gotcha" thread.

Hey, Ryan ... is that my squeezer in your avatar photo??? ;-)

Yea, I had to order a new set, too. Not for this reason, but because the edge distance on the tapered end wasn't up to snuff.

You've learned the key lesson .. only cut and drill at the last possible moment.

I've had to rebuild many "make from" parts that I did to print, but weren't quite right once it was time to put them in place.

Keep pounding! Wait till you get to the avionics; I could be wrong, but I thought a I read an instruction in the plans that said "Beyond here, they be dragons. Beware. You're on your own."

Last edited:
Yeah it would be nice if Vans would go back and update their instructions and drawing to make corrections or clarify. [?] If you want me to look at something for you or if you want to take a look at how I put something together send me a PM.

Fortunately Van?s support is outstanding. They never seem to get tired of my questions, I thought they would by now. So far, luckily, I haven't screwed up anything big in particular. It's always a whole bunch of little workmanship questions. This hole is a little oblong, is it acceptable? I drilled that but shouldn't have. This edge is off by 1/16" is it ok as long as there's no hole edge distance problem? That bushing has some play--can I shim it with a washer? I could spend the whole build sending questions to Van's every weekend. Usually it's "build on" but if I don't ask, I'll always wonder. I don?t have the judgment to distinguish between ?this is trivial, no need to even bother asking? and ?definitely get Van?s to look at it?.

Feel free to follow my blog. Not as good but I tried to document Van's plans and manual issues as well as post them to the "Gotcha" thread.

Larry, I usual keep a tab open to your blog, it?s a great reference!

I'm not sure if you noticed, but there is a 'sticky' thread at the top the 'RV-7/7A' board.

Yea, that whole thread is printed out and kept in the garage! In fact, to save the time of running inside to look things up all the time, I took some time to hang a display from my garage ceiling. Now I can have VAF and the build logs right in front of my while I work. Can also display and zoom in on the PDF plans when needed which helps.

IMG_0826-M.jpg

Hey, Ryan ... is that my squeezer in your avatar photo??? ;-)

Yes it is, let me know when you need it back!

Screwed up the drilling of the F-661EF flap bearing blocks too, so reordering them as well. I think it would be faster if I just ordered two fuselage kits to begin with.

Back