What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pop-riveting canopy forward bow to skin?

FinnFlyer

Well Known Member
I don't see the plans calling for pop-riveting canopy frame 1/2" round bow to canopy top forward skin (C-403).

I think I've seen pictures where that was done.

Makes sense as it will help hold the forward part of the canopy down.
On the other hand, not doing it may allow for more thermal expansion/contraction.

What did you do?

Finn

I think I have the same question.
If we are talking about the upper ring being riveted to the bigger frame.

Looking at some pictures of other RV-4's, it must be.
Some even have a shim in between the 2 frames.

Here is mine:
e84506d9992d90403b69399c2241e244-full.jpg

Go slow and think ahead

The FWD skin is pop riveted to the round tube canopy bow and the square tube frame but the round tube bow is not riveted to the square tube frame. Think it all out carefully and make minor adjustments as required to get everything aligned and symmetrical. The canopy frame is relatively soft, and everything can be "bent" to fit. Even the square tube frame can be flexed in or out to perfectly match the fuselage width. if you don't get this fit just right, you wont be able to do it after it is skinned,or at least, not easily without risk of damage!I have told many others, I believe the canopy is the hardest part of the build, and one of the items that stand out when its finished. I can send pictures of mine via PM with an email if you would like. I would post pictures, but my IT firewall blocks all image hosting.

I did pop rivet the round bow tube to the forward skin, after drilling and clekoing the skin to the rest of the frame. I used the smallest drill bit I had (1 mm or so) to drill down through the 1/2" tube and though the C-403 skin for pilot holes. Then drilled up through the skin with 3/32 and 1/8". This was before trimming the skin to the 1/2" bow. Thus the pilot holes. I guess it could be done after trimming. 4 pop rivets on each side, approx 3" spacing. That is how the forward round bow connects to the square tube. Don't get the two front holes too close to the square bow or you won't be able to get the pop riveter in there.

Finn

Back