What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with icon identification

Blain

Well Known Member
I posted this on Advanced forum also. See if anyone on VAF has an idea.

AFS 4500 with Uavionix. Noticed an icon that I don?t see in the users manual. It is a yellow ring maybe 1000? in diameter. Not a yellow circle as only the boarder is yellow. Next to it is ?SFC 15 AGL? which sounds like a form of airspace. However it is over grazing land miles from human activity. I decided to fly over it to see what it was and is seemed to be moving however that could have been an illusion.

Maybe drone? I?ve spent hours over this area as practice and the only life is cows and coyotes.

For the locals; Half way between RIU and Rancho Seco.

I posted this on Advanced forum also. See if anyone on VAF has an idea.

AFS 4500 with Uavionix. Noticed an icon that I don?t see in the users manual. It is a yellow ring maybe 1000? in diameter. Not a yellow circle as only the boarder is yellow. Next to it is ?SFC 15 AGL? which sounds like a form of airspace. However it is over grazing land miles from human activity. I decided to fly over it to see what it was and is seemed to be moving however that could have been an illusion.

Maybe drone? I?ve spent hours over this area as practice and the only life is cows and coyotes.

For the locals; Half way between RIU and Rancho Seco.

If it's similar to Garmin graphics, then I'd bet it's a TFR. In Garmin yellow is not hot yet, a red ring means a hot TFR (live airshow, etc.).

Those are normally TFRs over gas pipelines, 1nm and 1500' AGL, They vent them or work on them. Sometimes just 1, sometimes a line of them.

If not a TFR, is it a UAV survey notam?

"The NOTAM system for drones was called the DROTAM system on now is simply filing a sUAS NOTAM, also available through the Flight Service website and register for a free account.

You must create an account to use this service. Once logged in, choose “planning” under the UAS option."

Found a 1nm 3000' agl gas vent TFR example:
FDC 9/9514 ZJX FL..AIRSPACE DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, FL..TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 1 NM RADIUS OF 304327N0860208W (CEW097033.8) SFC-3000FT NATURAL GAS VENTING. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(1) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT. ONLY RELIEF ACFT OPS UNDER DIRECTION OF FL GAS TRANSMISSION ARE AUTH IN THE AIRSPACE. NATHAN SMITH TELEPHONE 850-527-3371 IS IN CHARGE OF ON SCENE EMERG RESP ACT. JACKSONVILLE /ZJX/ ARTCC TELEPHONE 904-845-1537 IS THE FAA CDN FACILITY. 1902021300-1902021759

Last edited:
The only other thing that I know is out there is the very large Sacramento Valley Shooting Center. I can't see how that would affect the airspace.

Moosepileit thanks so much for that other information.

I stay away from the shooting range. Gas operations sound plausible however not a tire track to be seen out there. Now that I think about it there was another closer to Rancho Seco which does have a, what I suspect is a large natural gas line to it.

Still there aren?t any facilities such as pump stations or relief valves out there.

Where else could I inquire about these airspace restrictions?

Back