What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will I become a repeat offender????

Brantel

Well Known Member
For some strange reason, I have the urge to build a 10. My wife would enjoy it more and I am envious of you guys and how much stuff you can haul to Osh.

I also feel the urge to build another instrument panel :eek:

Would likely take me at least 10 years to pull it off financially.

Please talk me out of it! :p

Can?t help you there, my friend. I had a big void after taking 9 years to build my 6A. Only cure was to fire up the Orear Aircraft manufacturing facility and start building my Hatz Classic.

Welcome to AA........ Aircraft Anonymous :eek:

I'm in the same boat, 2 new little ones in the last 2 years is giving my -7 a whole lot less utility as a travel machine. I know the smart money is to keep the -7 and join the flying club on field for a 4 seater, but flying a piper just doesn't sound as much fun as a RV. If I did it I would be shooting for a faster timeline (2-3 years), necessitating the selling of the -7 to fund the engine and avionics; even with that it would be a stretch financially.

If you shared your desire a little earlier, I would have invited you to the RV-10 dinner at OSH. Shantel could have spoken with all the other spouses and it would have been a done deal before dinner was over.

I'm in the same boat, 2 new little ones in the last 2 years is giving my -7 a whole lot less utility as a travel machine. I know the smart money is to keep the -7 and join the flying club on field for a 4 seater, but flying a piper just doesn't sound as much fun as a RV. If I did it I would be shooting for a faster timeline (2-3 years), necessitating the selling of the -7 to fund the engine and avionics; even with that it would be a stretch financially.

Yes, selling my 7 would likely have to happen as well to make it work financially. That might reduce the timeline some but I would not look forward to being without a plane for a while.

If you shared your desire a little earlier, I would have invited you to the RV-10 dinner at OSH. Shantel could have spoken with all the other spouses and it would have been a done deal before dinner was over.

I started thinking that way last year and even took her over to Van's tent and showed her the 10 and how much more comfortable it would be and how much easier it is to get in and out of.... Did the same this year and I think she is sold on the concept, just not the finances.

She really struggles on the longer legs staying in the position a 7 puts you in. Also getting in and out is becoming more and more a problem for her.

Be a hero with your wife - build the RV-10.

I built an 8A and flew it for 10 years, selling it after the 10 was done. She loved the 10. The first long cross country was two guys, two girls and all the luggage they wanted to take. Best trip ever. My wife and I did a series of east to west trips over the next four years - something she would never do in the 8A. On the last few trips she sat in the back with her blanket and music - she was a happy camper.

Unfortunately after four short years my wife could no longer fly with me so I got pissed off and sold the RV-10 to a guy with a fat wallet. Big mistake.

I started the current RV-8 project as a way to keep busy and I figure I?ll be flying solo anyway.

Build the RV-10 - but keep it light.
Carl

Be a hero with your wife - build the RV-10.

I built an 8A and flew it for 10 years, selling it after the 10 was done. She loved the 10. The first long cross country was two guys, two girls and all the luggage they wanted to take. Best trip ever. My wife and I did a series of east to west trips over the next four years - something she would never do in the 8A. On the last few trips she sat in the back with her blanket and music - she was a happy camper.

Unfortunately after four short years my wife could no longer fly with me so I got pissed off and sold the RV-10 to a guy with a fat wallet. Big mistake.

I started the current RV-8 project as a way to keep busy and I figure I?ll be flying solo anyway.

Build the RV-10 - but keep it light.
Carl

So you don't suggest the full interior and air conditioning? I can do without that stuff but the panel will be typical "Brantel" ;)

Resistance-is-futile_o_24939.jpg

If your desire is to build another panel, I can save you a lot of money. Just come down to Atlanta where I have boxes and boxes of "instrument panel" and will turn you loose with it. ;-)

Oh, and if you are interested in a project visit, let me know.

Can't help you much here, as I was in the same boat and pulled the trigger. I was itching to build another and really wanted the extra passenger and cargo capacity. After 9 months of retirement, I finally pulled the trigger this spring and find my days filled with enjoyable building.

Larry

I miss my 8a. I love my 10. I want another 8, but wouldn't sacrifice the 10 to do it. This year's trip to Oshkosh was just my son and I. I carried camping gear, 5 gallons of water and a full ice chest. The heavy stuff was strapped all of the way to the back to keep the airplane fast, but we were still 30% from the aft limit with minimum fuel. We were 400 lbs under gross at takeoff.

My wife and I routinely carry two bikes for mountain biking day trips, or road biking getaways. We can carry both kids and camping gear. What an amazing machine.

Leaving our Wayne, NE fuel / lunch stop on the way to Oshkosh this year, we took off a few minutes after three Bonanzas. I saw them on ADSB, and eventually chatted with them on air-to-air as I passed them. I was 1 or 2 kts faster burning 6gph less. I know, because they asked :)

Guy

Several years ago, my wife and I visited the factory. When she sat in the 10 she asked me why I wasn't building a 10...! :eek:

TC spent the last week at OSH eyeing and analyzing a -14 build while I was just enjoying the cool weather and relaxing. She was doing critical analysis at the campsite... I think the conclusion was "It can't do anything we can't do...". 1 new instrument panel and rewired airplane coming right up! Hmmm, make that 2 instrument panels at the same time.

I'm trying to help, I think. You've already built the relationship (hard part) with the current bird. Insert more love and you'll be rewarded. There is also intrinsic value in ensuring the -7 still fits as the years pass... (at least this is what I'm telling myself).

<counseling session over />

No help from here!

After sixteen years and 1900 hours in my RV6, you would think I would be happy and planning an engine overhaul. In addition, my wife just finished her RV-7. But no, I am building a -10 and planning to keep the -6. So, my question is: are three RV?s in the family too many???

Please consider this.....

Support for Barb, Anne, Kimberley etc at Vans...

Support for Doug and his family...

Support for us, having to support you through countless questions...

I am sorry, the decision is made.....

Fill that form out Son, pay that bill and build on - Humerika depends on you :D

After sixteen years and 1900 hours in my RV6, you would think I would be happy and planning an engine overhaul. In addition, my wife just finished her RV-7. But no, I am building a -10 and planning to keep the -6. So, my question is: are three RV?s in the family too many???

Three RV?s appears to be just right to us. But then you also have to add our Tundr, Xenos (under construction), and the new kit to come this fall - the little jet!

No, you don?t have a problem with three RV?s......

Back