What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7A to conventional U/C

Capt

Well Known Member
Hi guys just a quick question.
Has anyone converted an A model to conventional U/C? Wondering if it's possible without tearing the plane completely apart.
I know a nice 7A come up for sale but am not keen on a "Cherokee" looking style��
Tnxs.

Yes, I have and several others.
Short list of items you'll need.
New Engine mount & Gear legs along with cowl to gear fairings
Tail mount & assembly.
BTW, There will be plenty of offers to purchase your removed items.

ToDo:
Remount engine, some had to make cowl adjustments to fit, I did.:(
Remove rear panel to attach gear mount. May be an issue with attaching to VS braces if were cut during construction. I left mine uncut during original construction.
Remove original gear weldments from cabin. May be some additional work if your fuel lines & cabling are routing through them.
Fiberglass work to repair open gear weldments holes & cowl nose gear slot.

If you do a search you'll find more specific info.
Not alot of work, but you may be better off locating a TW 7 as so many come up for sale.

PM me if you'd like more detailed answers on the process.

Last edited:
Been done many times

The first that I saw documented was C-GOJU. The owner sold the airplane, and I can't find anything about it anymore on the web, but others have done it too. From memory, new engine mount and gear, tailwheel spring and mount, remove existing main gear, etc.

Hopefully, you'll get a response from someone who has done it, along with pictures, etc.

Good luck!

Merrill

Thanks guys appreciate the replies. It was more to find out if it was doable without too much surgery. I'm down under and we don't have the same choice like you guys do over there, everything is expensive, hard to get and few to chose from. Am actually after an RV8 but they are rare as rocking horse poo so am now looking at 7's which are more common here especially A models, not to sure why perhaps Aussies are not very adventurous����
Again thanks for the info guys��

I had a 7A, wrecked it when landing failed Subby H4.
Rebuilt it 7, decided was no TW pilot, rebuilt it back 7A.

No big deal.

Then decided to become TW pilot...built the 8....slightly bigger deal for old trike pilot...still learning after 497 walk away landings :)

I owned a Cherokee prior to finishing my -7A. No comparison between them. The Cherokee is far easier to ground handle with the steerable nose wheel. I've found my rudder skills have vastly improved with the swiveling nose wheel - even if it is "on the wrong end," as so many say. My insurance rates are better too.

Last edited:
Guys am still looking at getting an A model & turning into conventional u/c. So far the info I have got from some of you has been terrific. Now am looking to see the cost aspect of it but have been unsuccessful with Vans to get an idea of costs for the main parts, sent an email and never heard back.
Anyone with contacts in Vans who might be helpful?
Thanks guys��

7 conversion

Anyone?? Still looking to find out of someone knows someone at Vans who will return my inquiries.

Maybe you could buy a set of preview plans. With those, you can put together a parts list to get the prices you want. You'll probably need the plans for the conversion anyway.

I will buy the plans that's not the issue but if they won't respond to my general inquiry what chance have I got with a list of part numbers? I wanted to get an idea, a ball park figure on the main parts before I considered whether the conversion is warranted from a price stand point.
Anyway I've all but given up on the idea, a Cessna sounds good!:D

I'd say it may mean that Van's are not so hot on the idea.
That said, here are some numbers to put you into the ballpark and put you out of your suffering. The number of question marks beside the item indicate the amount of uncertainty associated with the pricing. No question mark indicates I have the invoice in front of me.
WD-408PC tail spring mount: US$50
FSTS735-1 Tailspring full swivl US$94.50
JD air parts complete tail wheel assembly US$599
WD-762 Engine mount US$1150 (uncoated)
Gear legs $1500??? (You could call Harmon Lange to get pricing on these if you really are this keen on this self punishment)
RV bits Intersection fairings: US$180
Tail wheel chains, nuts, bolts, new brake lines, incidentals for under the cowl, gear leg fairings and other incidentals US$1000??
Shipping will be somewhere around the $1500 mark.
You will then have the costs of repainting the aft fuselage after the installation of the WD-409, the reprinting of the mid fuselage where the gear legs are removed, as well as the cowl and gear leg fairings, and of course the time involved with the actual install and subsequent re weight. There will no doubt be impacts on your C of A and possible re certification costs/hours to fly off. All these hardware costs will be nothing compared to the labor costs if you are paying anyone to assist with the conversion. Not for the light hearted. Conversely I just found airline tickets with United from SYD to LAX for $706 return, which is the cheapest I have seen them in more than a decade of traveling back and forth to the States. You can go and buy that RV-8 you really wanted, and take a holiday at the same time. Seems like an easy choice from my perspective.
Good luck.
Tom.

Last edited:
Converted 7A to 7 two years ago. Ditto on what was said above. Engine moves forward 3/4? so cowl mods were the most time consuming single task. Had it sitting on conventional gear in 5 days, 3 experienced guys working long days. Flying again was much longer.

I will buy the plans that's not the issue but if they won't respond to my general inquiry what chance have I got with a list of part numbers? I wanted to get an idea, a ball park figure on the main parts before I considered whether the conversion is warranted from a price stand point.
Anyway I've all but given up on the idea, a Cessna sounds good!:D

A Cessna!

If you're going to fly in your retirement Adrian, pick up or build a Vans Airplane. You will not regret it.

Thanks Guys (Tom especially). Not to sure why Vans would be concerned, they are in business to make money & like others have said it's been before, no doubt many a time.
With our poor exchange rate & the associated hassles of importing that idea simply isn't worth it to me. A decent 8 could cost around $150K once it's all done, just too cost prohibitive.
The work side of a 7 conversion isn't of concern as I've done A/C engineering before in another life as well as have a few LAME friends etc.it was more the cost which thanks to Tom I gathered those numbers might be ball park.

So its been a fact gathering exercise thus far & I will revisit the whole concept now I am more informed.

Again tnxs to all who assisted here.

Anyone?? Still looking to find out of someone knows someone at Vans who will return my inquiries.

FWIW, Van's was never happy with my TW conversion process.
You'd do better getting the parts list to build your order.

Last edited:
Ok Dan, I don't understand their reason behind that or not bothering to respond even if they said go away! Odd business practice!

Maybe

i may be wrong, but here is my take. Vans sells kits and offer some limited hand holding. To see the cost and effort required to convert, a set of plans would be the start which may require an expenditure of money. If there isn't a desire to dive into a set of plans to determine what's different, then maybe one can conclude, as Vans may have, that the desire to see the project through is just not there, and thus their time may be better served taking orders from the folks who have already done their homework, maybe. I bet they get a ton of gee wiz questions. In this case, in 5days you decided to go in a different direction with a Cessna. I guess Vans was spot on.

Nevertheless, the kind folks here on VAF have and will probably continue to offer their opinions. If I were to guess, budget $2000 to $3000 as a start depending on whether you will do the work and purchase some items used. Purchase the stuff new and have someone do the work for you, budget $5000 - $7000, depending on your local employment rate. If you want to least hassle, just buy one already configured.

Good luck on your endeavors. You can't go wrong with a Vans product.

Ok Dan, I don't understand their reason behind that or not bothering to respond even if they said go away! Odd business practice!

Don't know why they aren't responding....but getting back to issue of having satisfactory airplane to fly, have your priced the RV-8 kit shipped to your home?

A basic VFR 8 can be built for a lot less than $150 grand. The kit is matched drilled and goes together quickly and easily. I build mine, not quick built, in about 14 months. Worked about 8 hours a day like full time job. Had to have some help riveting but did most of it myself.

Yes, it can cost $150 but over half that is in fancy glass, avionics, paint, 200Hp engine and CS prop. None of it needed for fun flying RV-8.

If side by side is issue, same can be said for the 7.

Just my 2 cents worth....

I didn't experience any issue with Van's when ordering or asking questions about the change from 7A to 7. I discussed the change at their booth in OSH. Had good feed back, do it on at 7A and not a 6A as the parts would require more matching on a 6. I did my homework and went through the prints to see what would change and created my shopping list. While ordering they helped with some minor details on what to order. I worked with experienced builders who were knowledgeable about 7's but had not done this conversion before.

As far as cost, I don't remember. I sold many of the removed items and that helps defray costs. It was worth it in my mind.

IIRC - Van's demo 7 is a conversion.

i may be wrong, but here is my take. Vans sells kits and offer some limited hand holding. To see the cost and effort required to convert, a set of plans would be the start which may require an expenditure of money. If there isn't a desire to dive into a set of plans to determine what's different, then maybe one can conclude, as Vans may have, that the desire to see the project through is just not there, and thus their time may be better served taking orders from the folks who have already done their homework, maybe. I bet they get a ton of gee wiz questions. In this case, in 5days you decided to go in a different direction with a Cessna. I guess Vans was spot on.
Nevertheless, the kind folks here on VAF have and will probably continue to offer their opinions. If I were to guess, budget $2000 to $3000 as a start depending on whether you will do the work and purchase some items used. Purchase the stuff new and have someone do the work for you, budget $5000 - $7000, depending on your local employment rate. If you want to least hassle, just buy one already configured.

Good luck on your endeavors. You can't go wrong with a Vans product.

You couldn't be more wrong there with yr assumptions but you are entitled to yr opinion! The 'Cessna' was said with tongue in cheek!

To the kind ones out there I have finally heard back from Vans as I sent another email. I got some basic info & costs from them which is all I was after in the first instance.

Again thanks to those that where helpful:)

Last edited:
Don't know why they aren't responding....but getting back to issue of having satisfactory airplane to fly, have your priced the RV-8 kit shipped to your home?

A basic VFR 8 can be built for a lot less than $150 grand. The kit is matched drilled and goes together quickly and easily. I build mine, not quick built, in about 14 months. Worked about 8 hours a day like full time job. Had to have some help riveting but did most of it myself.

Yes, it can cost $150 but over half that is in fancy glass, avionics, paint, 200Hp engine and CS prop. None of it needed for fun flying RV-8.

If side by side is issue, same can be said for the 7.

Just my 2 cents worth....[/QUOTE

Dave I've looked into an 8 kit, approx. up to $55K, that's the cheap part!:) I don't wish to build, I'd rather fly than build. I don't have the room anyway.
It's all been an interesting exercise, I'll keep looking at options.

Last edited:
Back