What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Names

Allan Stern

Well Known Member
:confused: I was wondering how most folks come up with names for their planes. I see where DR calls his Flash and Paul Dye calls his Valkaryie and others like Enterprise, etc. etc.

I am working on a couple names for my 6A but not formalized anything as of yet.

Was just curious how you named it or why? :confused:

No name for my RV other than my plane. When I get my first P-51, I'll come up with a good name!

I call my RV-7 "Priorities." Whether they're messed up or right on the money...depends on your perspective. :rolleyes:

Naked Lady and Tinman

Some names just stick. I wanted to do the first flights of our unpainted 9A without the fairings &wheelpants-since she wasn't fully dressed, someone came up with "naked lady." Radio calls were fun, and at a few thousand feet, can be picked up by California's Central Valley and Catalina Island. Now that she's in the paint shop, she'll get a tad more dignity and be rebaptized "Painted Lady." Our first homebuilt, a Zenith 801, looks like a jeep with wings, and got a masculine name, "Tinman."

Mine is called "Kentucky Lass" after my wife and my fathers is called "Diamond Di" after my Mom. If you name it after your wife it will either throw coals on the fire or put it out, so be careful.

When I build my T-51B, she'll be named "Pretty Lady"! That's what I've called my wife for over 33 years.

An RV by any other name...

Like many builders, even though I?m only knee-deep in my empennage, I?ve still given thought to such future decisions as canopy, paint (red, white, and blue in some sort of retro-military scheme), electronics, engine, prop, and even a name.
Why, you ask? Interesting question, I think a name helps me personalize the project as well as to keep an eye toward the ultimate goal ? a finished, flyable airplane.
In my case, I?ve chosen ?The Streaker?. The significance is mainly that the RV is a little airborne speedster. Also, as a humorous sidebar - for those of us in college in the 70s it harkens back time when a few uninhibited types ?streaked? sans clothing across the campus. (Not me, BTW).
I would bet that this name is not unique in the domain of homebuilt flying machine monikers, and that there are several namesakes streaking around as I type this.
How to select a name? Hmm, one thought is to let it find you. No hurry. When the right name crosses your mind, you?ll know it.

This

"Sojourner".........from the Bible. It means to spend time in towns away from home and that is what she does...sojourn :)

Regards,

"Sunshine"

The name came up before the yellow paint was applied. Coined by a lovely lady pilot friend of mine. As others have said, "the name just stuck."

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

RV Names

Well, the name for my RV6 was a bit of a no-brainer. 'Harvey'.

As in Harvey the RV

Cheers

Martin in Oz

POOKIE

"POOKIE" Pookie is the name of a flying rabbit. My wife is an English Instructor and she remembers reading the books many years ago. I don't like the picture of pookie and I hope my daughter will come up with a better picture for the tail of nose

Russel Koch
RV9A Emp done, QB in hanger

Never had a name for either Bonanza, the Citabria was "little Blue" (blue and white paint job). The specially configured F4 I flew out of DaNang was called Chico, as in Chico the Gunfighter as it had three 20mm cannons.

My wife named the RV8 the first day, the red white and blue stars and stripes paint job fantastic machine became "Freedom Rings although "Old Glory" would be a good back-up

Mel said:
When I build my T-51B, she'll be named "Pretty Lady"! That's what I've called my wife for over 33 years.

Mel- Would that be the Titan T-51? Who is engineering the "B" model?

Metal Exercise

It was almost as much mental as physical, so after three years building, I think the play on words fits.

Bob Kelly, 12 hours into Phase 1.

Since I'm not building yet my name story come from my truck a Ford Excursion.
I just call it the Ex since it's big, drinks a lot and takes half my money.
This probably works for most airplanes as well.

The Hornet

My plane was named by a couple of friends who, when they looked under the avionics cowl (ala Nuckolls) said the wiring system looked like "a Hornets Nest of Wires!". I prefer to think of it as the Hornet because it is my little fighter.
Either way...fun. :D
Ron
RV-4.. N8ZD...185 hours
Paint planned for next month

prporter said:
Mel- Would that be the Titan T-51? Who is engineering the "B" model?
That would be me! But it's a ways down the road. Got to finish the bi-plane first.

N # name

I call my -6 Tango Bravo.....
N # is N94TB
The letters roll off the tongue pretty well.
My partners name was Tripp and mine is Bob so it fit perfectly.

my hangar mates -6 is N617FM....
so we call it Fox Mike.

as others have said the names just kinda stick!

Lil Red Lady

I put the name 'Lil Red Lady' on the cowl after a nice lady stopped by to look at my RV6 at a fly-in event several years ago and told me what a sweet looking 'little red lady' my airplane was, so that's what I started calling my (RV). This picture taken at Lake Tenkiller, OK fly-in a couple weeks ago giving Allen Barrett with BPA engines a ride around the patch. AJ
dsc08065zy3.jpg

Last edited:
Burns- "I call it the Spruce Moose. It is designed to carry 200 passengers from New York's Idlewild Airport to the Belgian Congo in 17 minutes."

Smithers- "That's a very nice model, sir."

Burns- "Model?"

I was kinda thinking of "Metal Mistress" or "The Other Woman". But, somehow I don't think either of those names will make it to paint - I think the CINC-HOUSE will shoot 'em down...
Maybe if I'm lucky enough to someday be a repeat offender with a Rocket or RV-3 I can use one of them.

"Moneypit" is hardly original, but at the same time it's highly appropriate. I don't think the CINC will be opposed to that being on the cowl somewhere.

I called my first RV "Miss Irene" to honour my daughter who spent so many hours helping me buck rivets etc. She was thrilled to see her name on the plane the day she came home from school and saw her name on the side of the plane just aft of the engine cowl.

Harvey said:
Well, the name for my RV6 was a bit of a no-brainer. 'Harvey'.

As in Harvey the RV

Cheers

Martin in Oz

Harvey is what my wife and kids have been calling my project since the day the first box of parts arrived. Somehow, I'm not surprised since our Piper Warrior was always known as Charlie.

Personally, I think Gary Sobek has the perfect name for his RV-6--"My Sanity!" I wish I would have thought of that. :D

Last edited:
Potential

From the WWII era this one is on my short list...

Miss Behavin

It captures both the beauty and the spirit of our RVs.

Perhaps with a retro style picture to go with it.

Mike Draper
RV-8
Finish

jarhead said:
I was kinda thinking of "Metal Mistress" or "The Other Woman". But, somehow I don't think either of those names will make it to paint - I think the CINC-HOUSE will shoot 'em down...
Maybe if I'm lucky enough to someday be a repeat offender with a Rocket or RV-3 I can use one of them.

"Moneypit" is hardly original, but at the same time it's highly appropriate. I don't think the CINC will be opposed to that being on the cowl somewhere.

We use the "Other Woman" ... as both my Mom and Wife say we spend more money and time with her.

Norman CYYJ said:
I called my first RV "Miss Irene" to honour my daughter who spent so many hours helping me buck rivets etc. She was thrilled to see her name on the plane the day she came home from school and saw her name on the side of the plane just aft of the engine cowl.
Now this idea I like. Only problem is I have three
equally deserving daughters!

Twice

My late boss was married to a..er..well...pretty tough, stone-jawed Drill-sergeant type and loved to go just anywhere...away from her. His P-51 was ...."Escape". Later on the Bearcat became...Escape 2.. :p

Bye

Low Pass said:
Now this idea I like. Only problem is I have three
equally deserving daughters!
Can't think of a better reason to have 3 airplanes.
I asked one gentleman why he had 3 airplanes and he looked straight at me and said, "Because I can't afford 4."

What's in a Name?

I plan to call my 9A Traveller. There are several meanings that make it appropriate. It's a XC machine and it'll be based just outside of Richmond, VA. about 15 miles South is where the original Traveller, a dapple gray, owned by a true Southern Gentleman, was kept. It'll reflect a bit of Southern History but do it tastefully.

Traveller

Red Voodoo said:
Don, I believe I know the Traveller to which you refer:

Yep, that's the one. I've always been impressed with Lee as a man with loyalty and character but yet with the perspective to know how to live them with honor even in defeat. There are some very moving accounts of his actions after the war that showed his character and ability to move on with life fairly for all. Unfortunately, the events that he was involved in are not PC enough to even discuss in some circles these days. Lee is offensive to some folks. I just hope his horse's name isn't offensive. Jay Pratt may fly Borrowed Horse, but for me, I'll just fly a borrowed horse's name.<g>

Last edited:
I am choosing Gladder?s Gal (Girl)? For a RV8 I recently purchased. It?s in honor of the original builder, John Glader. I am sure John would have never sold this aircraft had cancer not gotten in the way. I feel very lucky to benefit from his many hours of research and work he put into this plane along with the piles of cookie dough.

The question still remains, should it be Gal or Girl, I have looked at it both ways and still have not made up my mind. I need to decide soon as I will be creating the graphics soon. Which is better?
:confused:

Paul Tuttle said:
A friend of mine said he saw a P-51 somewhere called "Divorce 1". Pretty much says it all.

All the Reno racers have names. One of the P-51s is called Million Dollar Baby.
I figure there's a VERY good reason for that.

Doug
Seattle area
RV-4, wings

Our sailboat is "Whiskey Charlie" and the name stuck...
The 9a became One Niner For Whiskey Charlie (N194WC)

We currently have one slow Whiskey Charlie with ONE airfoil on the coast and hope to have one FAST Whiskey Charlie with TWO airfoils in the air by the end of the year.

Texas Toy

I am a long way from putting a name to a face but I am leaning towards a Texas theme and Vargas type tail art.

I think "Texas Toy" plays on the "Everything is big in Texas" theme, including the size and price of our toys.

Maybe something like this on the tail:

baron_von_lind.jpg

Gal

Flyrod said:
...The question still remains, should it be Gal or Girl, I have looked at it both ways and still have not made up my mind. I need to decide soon as I will be creating the graphics soon. Which is better?
I would say "Gal" sounds better. I'm sure you know this, but John's last name was Glader with one D, even though he named his company Gladder's with two Ds. I'm not sure why. This gives you another "dilemma"!

baron_von_lind.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What's the post used for?.........Er, ....never mind!

As to "Girl" or "Gal", I think "Gal" might tick-off the feminists more, so I'd definitely go with "Gal"!

"La Blonde"

Because YTQ is yellow, and "La Blonde" is franco Canadian slang for "the girlfriend"

Joe Hine
RV4 C-FYTQ
"La Blonde"

OK.... Gal

OK ?Gal? it shall be. This does seem to be the preferred version by those queried for input. Most importantly, this is Dusty?s preference. About the double D difference, I chose to stay with the Double D mostly out of convenience as I am using company art work in the graphics. Thanks for the input.

I'm a former Navy Pilot........I'm on "Liberty" when I'm flying the "LIberty Ship".......Pick a name that fits you and the plane. :)

Miss Fire.

Yesterday, at the Avalon International Airshow (Australia) saw a T-6 called;

"Miss Fire."

Pete.

Back