What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for Canopy Jettison Handle

cbennet1

Well Known Member
Hi,

I've seen panel pics with some very nice looking red handles for canopy jettison. Would appreciate some leads on where to obtain these.

Thanks!
Craig

Looks like your airplane was originally completed in 1994. The canopy jettison handle was definitely included with the kit back then.

Van's part number is WD-620-PC $23.25.

Last edited:
It was finished in 1994, started in '89 I believe. Is the handle part of finishing kit?

In any event, it's not in the airplane, the builder doesn't have it. Can I have yours? :)

Want mine?

$10 shipped and its yours. I actually like the handle concept, just could not fit it with the changes I made to the panel so I found another way to jettison it.

You may need more than the handle, there is a whole mechanism behind the sub panel to turn the pulling into rotation to pull the canopy pins. You might want to see if that stuff is in there. It might be a pretty big job to put it in now if that stuff is not there.

It was finished in 1994, started in '89 I believe. Is the handle part of finishing kit?

In any event, it's not in the airplane, the builder doesn't have it. Can I have yours? :)

Handle

Great! Do you have a pic so I can see what it looks like? I've seen a few different ones so I don't know which is the standard. I do currently have a jettison "handle" so all the mechanisim is there. It's just a bent piece if metal.

Craig

Here you go

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

Of course if you want it red, you have to paint it :)

Great! Do you have a pic so I can see what it looks like? I've seen a few different ones so I don't know which is the standard. I do currently have a jettison "handle" so all the mechanisim is there. It's just a bent piece if metal.

Craig

Thanks Roger. That is considerable better than what I currently have but not quite what I'm seeking. Found a pic of it on another VAF'er's panel pic. Sent him a PM to see where he fouind his.

Just for reference:

mlpo3b.jpg

I actually like the handle concept, just could not fit it with the changes I made to the panel so I found another way to jettison it.

Roger,

I'd be very interested in seeing how you did yours. Do you have any pics somewhere, or a log to look at? Thanks!

Here is one pic of the back

No on line log, but here it is. Basically I had to move it to the left to fit my stack in where I wanted it (as you know its normally just left of center). That required beefing up the subpanel to take the load and just a ton of other little mods (you know, one good idea leads to another...) like shortening one arm, making the other longer, etc... I still wanted a canopy release, so after moving the hardware left I had to find a away to actuate it. I cut the arm off and reoriented it to allow a left to right action and put a cable on it (you can follow the cable to the right - everything I referenced is like you were sitting in the plane). The cable is a standard cowl flap cable with a turn to lock feature. I still need to add a return spring to keep it locked. It has more than enough leverage to open and jettison, but I did have to put it on the right side of the panel because it was the only place I had left. I can reach it fine, but I would rather have it on my side. It still works.

Backofpanelwiring.jpg

Roger,

I'd be very interested in seeing how you did yours. Do you have any pics somewhere, or a log to look at? Thanks!

Back