What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to California from Georgia.

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Mornin' all. I've been toying with the idea of flying to see my parents and kids in California, during November. I have a brother in Camarillo and kids in Fremont and parents in Paradise.

How do you guys plan such a long trip? I've looked at Weathermeister and the distance is a little over 2,000 miles and 163 gallons:eek:

Is there a flight planning site that allows me to break the trip up into say, 600 mile legs and so on? I have an iPad with VFR/IFR charts and plates loaded and I can file IFR if I need to.

TIA,

I used runwayfinder.com when I went out west -- I liked having the course line overlaid on the sectional chart. As for fuel stops.. distance and price of fuel came into play (airnav and 100LL.com).

I'd suggest planning two routes, just in case (northern Texas and El Paso).. Weather will most likely be a factor :)

If you are an EAA member...

...the the EAA version (free to EAA members) of AeroPlanner works well -

http://www.aeroplanner.com/login/login.cfm?eaa=

Login is required.

Aerplanner will store routes - so you can start with one single leg, and then progressively break it down as you pick way points/fuel stops and navigate around those pesky R-xxxx areas....:)

The night before departure save each leg as a separate flight, and when you log on in the morning before take off, it will give you predicted weather and winds aloft...

if it's only 2000 miles you'd only have to plan 4 stops, should be able to do that the old fashioned way :)

I haven't flown cross-country myself (yet), but I understand there are large blocks of restricted/military airspace out west that you'll have to route around.

Pierre,
I have been making the trip from Oklahoma City area to Watsonville on a regular basis in my -10.
My wife doesn't like making legs much longer then 3 hours so we stop in TCC for a rest stop and SJN for fuel and lunch (each 2 hr legs). Then 2.5 hr to DAG where I will add 10 gallons if the winds are bad and 2 hr into Watsonville.
The best fuel stops along what will probably be close to your route are just west of OKC at Hinton 2O8 or Weatherford OJA where LOE is being held this weekend and then Saint Johns SJN.
To get around the Edwards area, if you are going to central CA or northern CA, I file from DAG, PMD AVE which keeps me clear of things. If you are filing IFR, around DAG you will be talking to Joshua approach and they can clear you through Edwards on weekends. I have done this several times. It's nice to cut the corner.

Also, if you are making the trip any time soon, and want to stop in SJN for fuel, call them to make sure that you can get to their fuel pumps on the days you will be there as they are re-building the ramps and it is all messed up.

For planning I have been using Weathermeister and like it. For fuel, I use Airnav and 100LL. I like 100LL as you have the option to see prices of other airports around a selected stop. The prices in 100ll are not always as up-to-date as Airnav but they can get you started.

Going cross country in the -10 is great :D

Pierre

Delta is ready when you are---------

Economics would point to the airlines.

Take the RV!

Pierre

Delta is ready when you are---------

Economics would point to the airlines.

Cary, I think you are missing the point. Cheaper, yes but that is about all. Between the TSA, the congestion at airports and the logistic hassles, an RV is a truly wonderful way to travel. Little airports with friendly people, the ability to change plans instantly, and a proper view of the countryside, I am a retired airline type with free passes for life and I almost always take my '8.'

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

trip west

hello pierre
i live in north fl and i just got back from Reno air races in our rv-6a with a side trip in CA. this is my 2nd tirp as i flew the 6a to the races last year also
last year i filed all the way out and back because of weather this year i went VFR out and back a lot more fun to see the country side the trip out and back for us is 30 hours plus or minus an hour or two on the first year i took OXY an went high on this trip no OXY and stayed low and enjoyed the sights with a couple 10.5 K legs the only disapointment is i have not caught a good tail wind yet as far as planning i use Airnav for fuel info and sporties for charts i have a garmin 496 for weather theres no better way to travel than the majic carpet RV have fun
i know Val in Bainbridge Ga he says he knows you
bob willis

the Cost Tradeoff is Better with Two Seats Occupied

Well worth the difference, IMHO! You get what you pay for.;)

I find the economics work out very well when you have two people in the plane. Your fuel cost is close to being the same, but two tickets double the cost of commercial travel. I do live in a place where it is relatively expensive to fly commercially.

Hans

Free Online Flight Planner

Pierre,

I use Golden Eagles Flight Prep and love it. It's a free online planner that does pretty much everything you need. It allows you to add stops (you can add them directly our input your range and it will suggest stops), prints out nav sheets with the waypoints, time/distance/fuel/ground speed and allows you to create a plane profile with all the data, including weight and balance so it can be totally accurate for your plane. I find that it always predicts time en route within 10 mins, and over estimate fuel burn by about 1.5gal/hour. I have set my fuel burn conservatively in the program.

I use this in combination with AirNav for fuel prices and weathermeister for a backup on fuel calcs and weather and have been very happy.

http://www.flightprep.com/rootpage.php?page=infogoldeneagle

You have to sign up for a free account with Golden Eagle, but I think it's well worth the hassel of giving them your email address.

Post a note when you're going to be out here, if you have the time I would love to drop by, meet you and sneak a peak at that RV10 I've read so much about.

I find the economics work out very well when you have two people in the plane. Your fuel cost is close to being the same, but two tickets double the cost of commercial travel. I do live in a place where it is relatively expensive to fly commercially.

Hans

Totally agreed. I live far enough from LAX (cheap(er) fares) that I have to leave home at least 4 hours before a commercial flight. My total travel time to the east coast (Atlanta or Orlando) is 10-12 hours. It only takes about a 200kt airplane (and reasonable weather;)) to beat that. Hard to beat airline reliability though...

Robby and I did three legs on our way out to LOE in 2006 in his RV-8. You could do it probably all the way across in four legs going the El Paso route.

Thanks a lot guys/ladies....

...Jenny really says that I should do the trip because I've busted my butt this summer, spraying, and that I deserve it...what a wife:)

Only trouble is, I'll be solo. If the trip really happens, I can give someone a ride anywhere enroute out toward the West....any portion of the trip...lemme know.

Best,

www.airnav.com

Go to the aviation fuel tab and you can plan a flight from Pt. A to Pt. B inputting your criteria for facilities, fuel, approaches, runways, etc. Then it'll give you the option of cheapest route or shortest route. It crunches all the fuel prices at given FBO's to cough up different options.

Make it an adventure. You can see places like Death Valley, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Big Bear lake (CA), the Rockies, Leadville, Meteor Crater to name a few.

Go for it. It is just several normal trips in a short period.

Through Rosa?s Cantina

Sir,

I have made the trip from 32GA (Lake Oconee) to El Paso more times than I can remember in my 3 and now 6. From where you are ELP is very doable in one day. I believe we can get you in a hanger for an overnight at T27. I live about 3 mins through the desert from T27 via my Polaris RZR. However, if you want an overnight you will never forget stop in Fredericksburg, TX (T82) at the hanger hotel. Chow Hall next door to your quarters. http://www.hangarhotel.com/ What a neat place to stay.

I personally use AOPA for planning. If you stop in the El Paso area for fuel ? T27 is your best bet. If you stop in Pecos and top off they provide free burritos. 100LL and methane in the same stop - what a deal. Another 80 miles west of ELP you can stop in Deming , NM? Also very good fuel prices.

Let me know if you plan to stop in ELP / T27. Would like to meet you.

Cheers
SHEP

I use to fly over to T27 when I was in the Army out there and do T&G's in Gene's Flight School 172's...

print up this page!!!!!!!!!! http://www.airnav.com/fuel/greatdeals/pocket?type=1

this is 'AirNav's Great Deals on 100LL Avgas' it says it all. point your plane west on a vfr day and turn on the tunes. get some flight following at 6 to 8 thousand feet and stay out of any restricted airspace. start putting in some airports from the list and see what looks good. before you know it your all most there. keep us posted. wish i could go with you.

print up this page!!!!!!!!!! http://www.airnav.com/fuel/greatdeals/pocket?type=1

this is 'AirNav's Great Deals on 100LL Avgas' it says it all. point your plane west on a vfr day and turn on the tunes. get some flight following at 6 to 8 thousand feet and stay out of any restricted airspace. start putting in some airports from the list and see what looks good. before you know it your all most there. keep us posted. wish i could go with you.

Hi Pierre---agree with Turbo---the airnav fuel planning page is a great place to start. I ferried a 9 two months back from San Diego and that's what I started with. Used the IFLY700 and didn't need any charts or plates either..Good luck with the trip..Tom

Hi Pierre,
I will be making this trip on Friday only the other way around, from KPVF to 47A in Alpharetta and then back the following weekend. I am totally excited about it and will be likewise solo. The route that I have chosen is going south to near Las Vegas, then to Prescott, AZ as my first stop and then sort of straight shot x-country to Atlanta. I use the free version of voyager and overlay it on the IPAD. First long trip with the IPAD.

If you like, I can send you my planned legs.

P.S. Are you any where near Alpharetta?

When?

Hey Pierre,
When are you planning to fly out West?
I might have a passenger for you traveling from Georgia to Northern California.
He is a retired airline pilot thinking about buying an RV-8 out here.

Pierre:
I made the round-trip Atlanta to Seattle 3 years ago in a C182. Great trip in May, with a little icing experience in Oregon and lots of wind West of the Mississippi.

Two interesting routes: MLU-AFW-AMA-INW-GCN-U08-DAG-SJC going; BFL-PHX-HOB-GTR coming back.

These CA legs were 20hrs going and 17hrs back (Hobbs)-- you will probably cut a few hours in your RV.

Deming - DMN -

..... Another 80 miles west of ELP you can stop in Deming , NM? Also very good fuel prices.

...is also good for a quick turn fuel around - we are usually met at a tie down space by the fuel truck before the prop has even stopped turning...

And, if you are heading East, there is a lot of empty TX between El Paso and Ft. Stockton, so fuller tanks are good... Se Ironflight's current post on empty W. TX.

Ft. Stockton - FST - is also good for an overnight stop if needed, a reasonably good crew car, lots of hotels by the freeway, and eat at the K-Bar steakhouse unless you want Mexican food...:)

Probably the second week of November

Hey Pierre,
When are you planning to fly out West?
I might have a passenger for you traveling from Georgia to Northern California.
He is a retired airline pilot thinking about buying an RV-8 out here.

...since I need to be back by Dec. 1st for our National Ag convention in Savannah, Ga. I figured that snow and ice would be more likely in December and January.

It'll be a no-rush deal that could take me three weeks there and back. I've spent many trips waiting out weather over the years and I've learned to control the get-home-itis.

Best,

...since I need to be back by Dec. 1st for our National Ag convention in Savannah, Ga. I figured that snow and ice would be more likely in December and January.

It'll be a no-rush deal that could take me three weeks there and back. I've spent many trips waiting out weather over the years and I've learned to control the get-home-itis.

Best,

That's a mighty healthy attitude to have as the weather sometimes exceeds the limits of a small airplane.

Laying around a motel when one could be making good time in a pick up is not my idea of fun. I like flyin' somewhere but have a real problem with motels, the growing popularity of bed bugs, noise and lousy food. :( (That probably comes from some 2300 lay overs in a previous life.)

But sometimes a prudent pilot has no choice.

Hope you have a safe, fun trip and may the sun shine on the entire route. Take something interesting to read in case it doesn't. :)

dont forget.........

the rv hotel print out. may come in handy in a pinch. nothing better!!!!!!!!!

Back