What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broken ELT Antenna

cbennet1

Well Known Member
My ELT antenna broke near the base. Standard antenna that comes with the ACK E-04 transponder. Anyone experience this? Any ideas how this might happen?

Over tightening?

Craig

My vote would be stress from airflow and vibration. Most people install their ELT antenna inside the canopy or airframe with a view of the sky.

Broken antenna

My vote would be stress from airflow and vibration. Most people install their ELT antenna inside the canopy or airframe with a view of the sky.

ACK's instructions state that on a metallic airframe the antenna must be mounted on the outside and on the top of the airframe.

They also state that the antenna can withstand airspeeds of 260 kts. My wings are still on so I'm pretty sure I've kept it under 260. :)

Craig

ACK's instructions state that on a metallic airframe the antenna must be mounted on the outside and on the top of the airframe.

You mentioned in an earlier post that this particular antenna was mounted on the bottom of the airframe, rather than on top as the manufacturer instructs. Perhaps some interaction between with gear flow, exhaust pulses, or simply a piece of gravel blown up by your propeller contributed to an early demise for your antenna.

Back