What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL 39D-Syn vision-terrain, and D 180 in IFR

donaziza

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried this combination? An IFR legal navigator 430W, 650 etc, to drive your Dynon 180, (or Dynon whatever) and then used an ipad with a GDL 39D to get terrain and synthetic vision? If so, how is this working out for you when flying IFR? (I know the syn vision and terrain on the ipad are not IFR legal----just curious).:rolleyes:

IFR Garmin 430 and iPAD

I fly IFR with Garmin 430 and iPAD, but not Dynon. Just 6 pack. When I'm in IMC I trust the 430 and minimum required altitudes. I look at iPAD but consider it only interesting and it gives nice visual reference and perspective. But I don't trust it nor rely on it, nor need it. I do consider it a backup, I suppose.

I've been flying recently with a new (to me) Aera 795 and a GDL39-3D. Honestly, since I set that up I have only taken my iPhone 6 with me in the plane. The GDL39-3D feed attitude and ADS-B traffic/weather data to the 795, which is super bright and easy to read even in full sunlight. Recent software updates improved the connectivity between the 795 and GDL39. I was using bluetooth at first to connect them but bought the power/data cable for it, and used that to hook the audio into my intercom, which is terrific for the terrain and traffic audible alerts.

Before that, I flew with the iPad as my display for plates, traffic, weather, etc with Garmin Pilot. Still using it some in the plane but on the iPhone and not as much. Always useful as a backup in case vacuum goes south, of course, but it's for situational awareness only. The IFR navigator does all the real work (GNS 480, which they can have when they pry it from my cold, dead hands (as they say)).

iPad is good, but I like the reliably fixed position (RAM ball mount attached to the panel in reasonable field of view for pilot) and brightness of the 795.

Back