What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle rigging questions

N546RV

Well Known Member
OK folks, fun time. In the near future, I need to go ahead and make the necessary modifications to accommodate the rear-seat throttle, but there are basically no details about said modifications in the instructions. I went ahead and ordered the front and rear quadrants from Spruce a while back, so I have those on hand now.

What do I use for the linkage between the two throttles? Is there some prefab piece I should look for, or do I just need to buy some aluminum tubing and roll my own? If the latter, what do I use for the ends - some kind of rod end bearings? Photos of your setups would be much appreciated here.

On a similar note, on the front-seat quadrant, does the linkage between throttles share the same hole as the cable going through the firewall? I ask because there's only one predrilled hole in the throttle lever, which is located at the same level as the predrilled hole in the rear throttle (photo). This would seem to indicate that these two holes would be used for the linkage between throttles...but then the predrilled holes are also at the same point between the front throttle and mixture levers, which would seem to indicate that those holes are for the control cables. Again, photos of installations would be very helpful.

Finally, a much more minor point: There are obviously supposed to be cover plates that mount below each rear armrest, as indicated by the presence of nutplate holes and the need for the rear throttle to mount to them. But I don't see this part depicted anywhere in the plans, not have I seen anything in my Big Stack O Parts that looks like one of these plates. Does anyone have the part number for these?

The bottom line here is that I don't want to cut any more holes in my center section bulkheads than are strictly necessary, but the lack of guidance here is making it tough for me to figure out how to proceed.

Check post #24 for how I did it using smaller steel tubing...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=16474&page=3

I drilled another hole in the forward quadrant levers to connect the clevises from the rear quadrant. The holes are closer to the pivot point to assure full movement of the forward levers. The cables to the engine use the holes further from the fulcrum...

If you can do all your fitting work before the side panels are riveted in place it makes it a LOT easier...

Have fun

Back