What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Propeller Question

Robb

Well Known Member
I am new to the RV gang having just made a deal on a really nice RV 8. I have an Aviat Husky with an MT propeller and I really like it. I was wondering if there are any weight and balance issues when Installing one on a 8 with a 360 ? The MT performs so well if possible that will be the first thing I do as they are just so smooth

Welcome to VAF and to your new RV-8!

I don't have any experience with either the RV-8 or the MT prop. Still, here's what I'd suggest: fly the plane for a while and get thoroughly familiar with it and the weights and centers of gravity loadings you typically fly with. It's possible that it already had a prop that's every bit as good as an MT, or that the different weight of the MT prop might help or hurt the CG.

Dave

Welcome to VAF!

I am new to the RV gang having just made a deal on a really nice RV 8.

Welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

You might consider joining the Sacramento area RV bunch------------ http://sacrvators.com/ good folks, lots of knowledge-----but the website can be a bit underwhelming, so beware of that small issue.

I have a MT on my 10--------no issues with it, but have not flown the plane with any other prop so I really have no basis to compare.

MT Prop

I have an MT prop on my IO-360 powered RV-8. I don't have the exact weights handy as I'm about 900nm from my plane and it records. But the MT prop is quite a bit lighter than the commonly used Hartzell prop. I also have Concord battery mounted on the firewall. I believe my planes Empty weight C.G. is 77.10" I have never had any CG issues.

My MT prop is the MTV-12-B, the non-counterweighted, three bladed model.
I really like the performance of the prop, as well the way it looks...

Sounds like the MT is the way to go as there is no comparison between it and a Hartzell in performance and vibration

Props

Sounds like the MT is the way to go as there is no comparison between it and a Hartzell in performance and vibration

The Hartzell's are typically good for a few knots over the MT's, but the 3 bladed MT's climb well and are supposedly very smooth.

Skylor
RV-8 (Hartzell Blended Airfoil)

If you're planning to buy, it's probably also worth talking with Whirl Wind Aviation about their props. Also light and popular on RV's. Depending on your engine's horsepower and configuration, maybe a 74RV or 200RV.

Greg at Whirl Wind can provide a lot of good consulting on the phone about your specific needs and wants. They're very helpful when you call to talk with them.

I had an electric MT with the 7A and Subby H6 engine, it was excellent especially for take off performance.

Once did a soft field launch with full aft stick and found myself out of the surface muck hanging by the prop before the airplane was ready to fly. A slightly less amount of aft stick gave the airplane a chance to pick up speed and fly out of the embarrassing situation.

I found MT service at Deland excellent. Once took a rock to one blade that needed repair. The guys at Deland talked me through disassembling the prop so it could be packed in a much smaller box than sending it assembled.

As you can tell, I liked the MT.

I have a 3 blade Catto with the 8, it is a best compromise for cost, weight and performance. If I win a lottery, the matter will be reconsidered. :)

MT Prop

I have an RV8A w Lyc IO 360 180 hp wMT Prop and I love it.
Main reasons, lighter than two blade Hartzel, very quiet and less vibration, probably lose 2 or 3 knots over two blade, looks beautiful. Climbs great
Down side is cost, quite a bit more expensive.
It was either the Whirlwind RV 200 or MT, I chose MT based on the looks
Robb feel free to email me @ [email protected]

Last edited:
Robb, the main issue aside from the cost and maintenance issues associated with the MT would be your preferable CG. With a two blade Hartzell up front my '8 is somewhat nose heavy solo. That results in very solid pitch stability in cruise. For solo acro it has heavy pitch forces during looping manuevers. With a passenger in the back it becomes lighter in pitch for cruise and very noticeable lighter, perfect pitch feel for acro.
With a lighter prop like MT or Whirlwind you will have lighter pitch forces all around. If your passenger weight is over 175 lbs or so you will have very light pitch forces and may want to put some weight in the forward baggage. With a light prop, and a passenger in back the pitch forces will certainly be too low to be comfortable while performing acro. For solo acro though the pitch forces would be perfect.
It's all a matter of personal preference.

Back