What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build Sequence

jump4way

Well Known Member
I'm looking for a bit of advice on how most of you moved ahead with the RV-8 kit.

I'm working on a QB kit with the wings complete but not drilled and installed on the airframe. The fuselage is complete through all of the interior parts and the aft upper skin riveted on. Electrical has begun with the main power distribution done but I'm finding it difficult to complete the secondary power distribution wire runs without avionics and switch locations. I intend to save avionics for the last which leads me to want to save riveting on the forward upper skin until that task is complete. The fuel selector, fuel lines, brake lines, rudder pedals, and fuel pumps are installed.

Obvious major tasks still to complete are:

1) Canopy, Canopy skirt, windscreen, canopy hardware (finish kit is on order)
2) Install the empennage
3) rivet the foward upper skin and build baggage door
4) all things firewall forward ( I have the engine minus a few accessories )
5) Avionics to include all things included with the panel
6) Install the wings
7) Cowling

I currently have the fuselage on a rotiserie but am considering installing the gear legs so I can start working on the engine mount and engine installations.

Obviously there is still tons of work to be done but I'm looking for advice on which order to tackle these things. How did you do it and how might you have done things differently?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I did it in this order (Except 4 & 5 were swapped)

2) Install the empennage (mount, drill, shim and pull off and store it away)

6) Install the wings (mount, align, drill and pull them off and store it away)

3) rivet the foward upper skin and build baggage door (try to wait as long as possible, then recit the top skin on)

1) Canopy, Canopy skirt, windscreen, canopy hardware (finish kit is on order)

4) all things firewall forward ( I have the engine minus a few accessories )

5) Avionics to include all things included with the panel (mine was not on the gear when I did this. Wiring the panel on gear may not be to bad, but running wires from the panel to the tail area on the gear may be hard since it is higher off the ground)

7) Cowling

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks For the reply. I'm wondering how much of the canopy work can be done with the forward skin just attached with draw clecos to keep things together tight? Can the baggage door be done cleanly this way also or is it best to just rivet the thing together before working on the baggage door? The plans have the following to say:

NOTE: Delay riveting the F-821-1 Forward Top Skin for as long as possible to provide improved access to the interior of the fuselage for installing the instrument panel, electrical system, engine controls, etc. The baggage door, canopy, and engine cowl installations can be mostly completed with the forward top skin clecoed in place.

That indicates a lot can be done but I'm curious how it has worked out for those that have tried delaying the forward skin? Any technique tips are appreciated.

Back