What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does anyone have a photo of Garmin GSA28 servo installed in pitch position?

Just completed this GSA28 pitch servo installation in an RV-8 today:

And from the rear:

The original post was back last September but I thought I'd put these out there for anyone else doing Garmin servos in an RV-8.

Question?

I ran across this today and see two posts. One asking and one thanking for the pictures. We just did this install of the pitch servo and are putting the G3X system in at this time. It may help a few out there if I tell you it is no big deal to put either the Garmin pitch or roll servos in. The pitch is just the two angles far the bell-crank replaced with the ones out of the Garmin mount kit. If you have not put those to angles in just yet, get the kit and use the two from the kit. You don't have to mount a servo on them tell you get ready, down the road. The same with the roll servo. The mount kit for the roll servo just replaces the bottom bell-crank mount angle with one out of the kit. In both cases the angle are just longer with mount hole in them for the servos to bolt to. If you have already put these two mounts in the airframe for the pitch and right wing bell-cranks, it is not that hard to change them back out for the new ones from the mount kits. The last I checked the two mount kits were about $75 a peace. My take is go far it even if you don't use it they will be there if they are ever needed..
Hope this helps someone.. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Pat,
How did you set the rivets that mount the Garmin supplied bracket to the airframe? I can't see a way to squeeze them so I am assuming you drove and bucked them, yes? Since I am working with a QB fuselage I have the same level of access in your pictures and wondered how you did it. Not looking forward to trying to control a small bucking bar while trying to drive a -4 rivet.

not fun, but not too bad

Sam,
You are correct, you cannot squeeze them, you have to drive them. I was able to hold my tungsten bar underneath the baggage rib/pitch angle horizontally and buck from the top down. I did have to reach thru the lightening holes on the side and it?s wasn?t all that hard, it just took a long time to switch from the bucking bar to the mirror/rivet gauge and then back again. I took my time and it took a long time to get hem done ? but after that ? I was done and I will never have to worry about them again!!!! :D

You can see a picture and some more explaination in my build log if needed :
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...ear&project=2191&category=0&log=209101&row=39

Pat,
How did you set the rivets that mount the Garmin supplied bracket to the airframe? I can't see a way to squeeze them so I am assuming you drove and bucked them, yes? Since I am working with a QB fuselage I have the same level of access in your pictures and wondered how you did it. Not looking forward to trying to control a small bucking bar while trying to drive a -4 rivet.

Sam, like Jim, I set mine with a tungsten bucking bar. Wasn't all that bad, just took a little time. I actually used two CherryMax rivets on the rearmost holes of the bellcrank brackets because they were back in a corner where a bucking bar was really awkward. I thought this would be better and easier than trying to set conventional rivets at this location. You'll see what I mean, I think.

Jim and Pat,
Thanks for the input. I suspected that was going to be the answer. This will be one of those things where having two people might make life a bit easier. One to drive and the other' sole job is to control the bucking bar.

A second question for both of you.
How did you get the bolt that holds the forward end of the servo in place?
I am taking about the -6 length bolt with the head in the valley between the brackets. The one visible in Pat's second picture just aft of the bell crank bolt.

Thanks again for your input.

I remember that bolt! You just have to insert it between the brackets before you put the bellcrank in. As I recall, it just barely fits. :)

Thanks Pat,
I was looking at it yesterday and couldn't see how it could possibly get in that hole. Maybe I should double check the bolt that came with the kit is the right size but it sounds like it is a bear anyway.

Thanks again.

Back