What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL40 to GTR 200 conversion

Dgamble

Well Known Member
Has anyone attempted/completed a conversion from the SL40 to the GTR 200?

It seems like the new tray and mounts would probably be fairly straightforward, but the wiring.... that could be more complicated.

I converted shortly after Vans released the necessary hardware.
Vans part # 12 GTR-200 RETROFIT. $1300 on 11-19-13
Sold the unused SL40 for $100 more than the kit and another $50 on Ebay for the intercom.
The GTR 200 is a sweet radio, and the built in intercom works flawless.
I did not document the conversion, however I think the wiring was plug and play.
I may have done something different with the coax.
F-1202J LR required replacement with the new style.
F-1202 LR required replacement with new style. Also, the replacements for F-1202 LR braces have increased lightening
hole sizes that were invaluable for me with the increased wiring for my engine management installation.

Last edited:
I converted shortly after Vans released the necessary hardware.
Vans part # 12 GTR-200 RETROFIT. $1300 on 11-19-13
Sold the unused SL40 for $100 more than the kit and another $50 on Ebay for the intercom.
The GTR 200 is a sweet radio, and the built in intercom works flawless.
I did not document the conversion, however I think the wiring was plug and play.
I may have done something different with the coax.
F-1202J LR required replacement with the new style.
F-1202 LR required replacement with new style. Also, the replacements for F-1202 LR braces have increased lightening
hole sizes that were invaluable for me with the increased wiring for my engine management installation.
Larry!! I can't thank you enough for such a thorough shopping list!

Help with GTR 200 installation

I?m having problems with the Garmin GTR 200 radio (42G). The sound is barely audible with the volume set at 100%. However, when I press on the Monitor button the sound is normal but, of course, I hear communications on the 2 frequencies. I tried mono and stereo headsets (both passive) and there is no difference between the headsets and between the pilot and co-pilot positions. I can transmit ?loud and clear? from the pilot and co-pilot positions. Also, the intercom does not work and I don't hear the sidetone. I went into the Config mode in the GTR 200 and ICS is enabled. There was no change with adjustment of the Squelch. The Volume Control in Skyview is at 100%.

The FC-403 Intercom had been removed from the panel. I had the Garmin SL-40 with my avionics kit but when it was time to test it (PAP G1-1) it would not power up. Unfortunately, it was already out of warranty so I decided to get the GTR 200 instead of having it repaired.

I did go through the GTR 200 Setup Procedure (COM Setup, Audio Setup and Headset tests). None of the boxes had Xs for TX or RX unless I was transmitting or receiving. I played with the Volume and Squelch settings and there was no change. I went through the headset test also and I could hear the tone in both ears. The test tones did not localize in the left or right but I used an old Flightcom headset in the stereo mode and a David Clark Mono headset. None of the Short boxes had Xs.

I had adjusted the potentiometers (Com, Aux, EFIS) in the AV-50000A Control Module per 45A-10 and 42D-30 and there was no noticeable change in volume or distortion (with a music device connected to the auxiliary music jack) or with the com radio volume. I have the Conversion harness for the Skyview.

Has anyone with the SV Conversion harness installed the GTR 200 and had the same issues I'm having? I'll appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Manny Enriquez
RV-12, Kit # 120224

Try Garmin Support

Try Garmin support, their separate desk for experimental aircraft.

My GTR200 was bad right out of the box. RF squelch was broken all the time, no matter the sensitivity setting. Garmin agreed to the fault and sent me an exchange unit, charging it on a credit card. When they received the defective unit, the charge was reversed. This process saved about two weeks over having the original unit repaired.

I then had a problem with sidetone squeal when transmitting. Turns out not all headsets are equal. My BOSE A20 mic puts out 600 mv while others are as low as 35 mv. The headset is not adjustable, but the GTR 200's mic gain is. I reset it from default 5 down to 2. No more squeal and other aircraft 40 nm distant report loud and clear on my transmissions.

I agree with others that the GTR 200's built-in intercom is the first that compares favorably to separate panel mounted intercoms.

Try Garmin support

Thanks, Bruce. I had told a local A&P about my issue and he called Garmin Support and was told to make sure ICS is enabled which I verified is. We did not call them back, though. I'll try them again (directly).

Manny

Another Option

Manny,

Can you borrow a working GTR 200 from another airplane to temporarily try in yours? That would help determine if the problem is the radio itself or installation.

Back