What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Additional wire runs under the floor?

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I'm at the point of installing the bottom skin of the cockpit. Have heard that some here have had difficulty running the wires thru the installed snap bushings - so, my question is, should I install another set of snap bushings for possible future additional wire runs from the panel area to the tail of the airplane? Easy to do now but not so easy after the plane is flying. Your advise is appreciated.

I'm at the point of installing the bottom skin of the cockpit. Have heard that some here have had difficulty running the wires thru the installed snap bushings - so, my question is, should I install another set of snap bushings for possible future additional wire runs from the panel area to the tail of the airplane? Easy to do now but not so easy after the plane is flying. Your advise is appreciated.

I just finished to install the wiring harness. I had to slit some of the bushings because the BNC connectors (COM, ADS-B) won't go through.
Generally I did not have any difficulties to run the WH-00045 and WH-00046 incl. coax. wires and the pitot line through the bushings.
However, I have experience a tiny clearance issue between the cables and the flaperon mixer arm. Even though F-00049 wire plate protects the wires from rubing, the space there is marginal.

Last edited:
You should be fine with the amount of space given in the kit. It is a tight fit and you will have to slit some of the snap bushings. However, a little extra time taken while routing the harnesses to make sure that all the wires are running straight through the bushings (not accidentally coiled or twisted around one another) can go a long way in helping to best utilize the given space.

Do it now!

I enlarged the holes for larger bushings and even createed extra ones. Boy was I glad I did! The space allowed by the designer is woefully too small, and almost impossible to enhance later. Do it now!
While you are at it, run extra wires for future "enhancements" or new gadgets you can't imagine at the moment. I ran six #22, two #20, one #18 and one RG400 coax from the panel shelf all the way to the baggage bulkhead and tied them off. The purists will frown and smirk at you, but just wait til they need to run another wire or two and you'll feel pretty smart ;)

Re: Do it now!

Technically this makes your airplane EAB (not ELSA), but I didnt (and don't) care about that. It's your choice to make, though

Back