What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Strainer - Flared Tubing Concern

TomVal

Well Known Member
I think the annual requirement of pulling the fuel tank finger strainer is perhaps an opening to weaken the tubing flare on the AN to strainer fitting. Repeated loosening and tightening of the fitting may subject that area to failure.

I would suggest (particularly if you are straining your mogas) to reducing the requirement to perhaps every other year. As an interim, per the condition inspection requirements, annually check the boost pump flow rate and the gascolator screen for contaminants.

This would also assume that you maintain fresh mogas in your tank.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Another consideration Tom would be to use a Del Seal
It is a very thin, soft aluminum seal that presses on (with just finger pressure) to the fitting. The soft aluminum assure a good seal without using a lot of torque on the B nut. They are also good for situations where a fitting might have gotten nicked or scratched and you are concern about whether it will seal.

The FAA considers them acceptable for any fitting/line connection on aircraft (experimental or certificated).

It is a very thin, soft aluminum seal that presses on (with just finger pressure) to the fitting. The soft aluminum assure a good seal without using a lot of torque on the B nut. They are also good for situations where a fitting might have gotten nicked or scratched and you are concern about whether it will seal.

The FAA considers them acceptable for any fitting/line connection on aircraft (experimental or certificated).

Outstanding!

Thanks!

This is a great suggestions and thanks for pointing it out. I have been inspecting my fuel filter at each annual and this year, I could not get a good seal on my flared fitting. I end up making a new tube which wasn't a big deal but looking at the old tube with a magnifying glass, I could not find any defect but it would not seal well. I will get some of these for next year.

Back