What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B - G3X - GTN750 Questions

sjarrell

Well Known Member
I am in the early stages of making my choices for my panel / avionics for a RV10. I am already working with Stein and so far I have decided on the following.....

• Dual G3X panels
  • Remote transponder
  • GTN750 GPS

I am currently looking closely at the traffic advisoriy choices and considering compliance with the future ADS-B out requirements and the benefits of the ADS-B in services. I was considering the Garmin GTS-800 active traffic system, but if the ADS-B coverage is in place by 2012 it looks to me like ADS-B in should offer equal or better protection than the active traffic system will.

I realize that ADS-B is in a state of flux and that there will no doubt be a LOT of new products and changes to the existing products over the next few years, but I do need to make some decisions in the next 6-8 months on which way I go so I'm starting to do my research now.

I thought I'd post my questions here instead of asking Stein directly so others can benefit from the discussion, and so I can hopefully get the input from other outside sources (Garmin, Navworx, etc.) as well as Stein (and possibly save him and them from having to answer them repeatedly..... :))

Here are a few questions that I have so far....

1. I understand from Stein that the GTX33 remote transponder has an "ES" (extended squitter) option. If I order this option, will the GTN750 / GTX33ES combination make me "ADS-B out" compliant?

2. Instead of adding the ES option to the GTX33, as I understand it the GTN750 could provide location information to the Navworx unit which would provide ADS-B out services. Is this correct, and if so does the Navworx unit also have to be connected to the transponder?

3. Are there any known plans at the present time for either the GTN750 or the G3X units to accept ADS-B input, and if so from what sources?

4. Assuming the ground transmitters are in place by 2012 as projected, what are the cons of using ADS-B in for traffic monitoring vs. active traffic (GTS800?)

5. I see on the Navworx site where their unit will provide a TIS signal to the 430/530 Garmin units. Will also work with the G3X?

6. Until Garmin fully supports ADS-B in, would it be feasible to connect the Navworx unit to the GTN750 and GTX33 (non-extended squitter unit) and have the Navworx unit provide the ADS-B out signal and provide a TIS input to either the 750 or the G3X derived from the ADS-B ground stations? While this obviously wouldn't be as good as true ADS-B reporting, it would provide much better coverage than the current TIS coverage and would be an adequate substitute for TAS until true ADS-B input is supported.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Best regards,

Last edited:
Followup question....

for any of you that currently have ADS-B in....

What have your experiences been with the quality of the traffic advisories when you're within the current ADS-B coverage areas but outside of the traditional TIS coverage areas?

Thanks!

Sjarrell,

I have a three screen G3X system with the GTS800. I also have the GTX330(es) and the 430W. Right now I'm showing traffic on the 430w only and no ADS-b.

If you are considering the GTS800, you should read my groundplane write up on the rv-10 forum.

ps: I played with a demo GTN750 today at Flight Deck avionics in SLC and it is awesome. I punched in a complete flightplan in record time. Huge difference from the 430/530. Extremely user friendly.

Sean

Sjarrell,

I have a three screen G3X system with the GTS800. I also have the GTX330(es) and the 430W. Right now I'm showing traffic on the 430w only and no ADS-b.

If you are considering the GTS800, you should read my groundplane write up on the rv-10 forum.

ps: I played with a demo GTN750 today at Flight Deck avionics in SLC and it is awesome. I punched in a complete flightplan in record time. Huge difference from the 430/530. Extremely user friendly.

Sean

Thanks. I'm probably not going to install TAS and instead I'll be going the ADS-B route. I still have quite a while before I have to make a final decision so hopefully there will be more ADS-B options by the time I need them (hopefully directly from Garmin.) I'm quite sure that Garmin will have a solution at some point that will work with the G3X and / or the GTN750.

Best regards,

Last edited:
Back